Purchase Advice Help

Slickwizard

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m looking to buy a Bennington and would appreciate some advice and opinions. I’m looking at the ~30k range. In that range, I can find tritoons that are 3 or so years old and S models. I also see options for the Q series but 10-12 years old. Of course, I can buy a brand new pontoon for that, but I prefer a tritoon.

I understand the Q models have some improvements in build and materials over the S models. Would you go with an older well maintained Q series or G series over a newer model S? Is the Q still better than the S despite the added years? Help me spend some money :)

Thanks!

Myself I would take a new S Model . Just because of the 10 year warranty . I started with 22 SLX and upgraded to a 23 RCW .

I agree with Jack...

I agree with the above for a coupe of reasons. #1 is the warranty. That alone is a huge reason to go newer s-series as opposed to a 10-12 year old Q. Also, each year they really improve all the various lineups. A 2-3 year old S-series is a very nice boat - particularly if it is optioned up nicely.

Frankly, if it is a tritoon with a nice motor, you wont be disappointed in any usage scenarios. I’d go a few year old s-series tritoon before a new dual toon, but that is also based on my personal usage (cruising comfortably + lots of water-sports). If you are just talking slow cruises and fishing, then a brand new dual toon might not be a bad way to go either.

Agree with everyone above! Even if you go above your $$ range you can get up to a 15 year loan for a decent monthly payment. A 10 or 12 year old boat you could run into a lot of headaches with. We buy them to enjoy them !

Newer S over older Q for sure.

Agree with everyone above! Even if you go above your $$ range you can get up to a 15 year loan for a decent monthly payment. A 10 or 12 year old boat you could run into a lot of headaches with. We buy them to enjoy them !
Whew! Couldn't imagine a 15 yr. loan for anything. Well except for a house. But even then paid our 2nd house off in 15 yrs.....

I would also recommend a new(er) S. I have a new G that I bought from dealer stock but if I had to do it all over again, I would have ordered an S. They are a lighter than the G’s, R’s and Q’s as well so you get a little more speed. An S is more than adequate as well.

As long as I'm not co-signing, I don't care how long some want to finance their boats, cars homes etc.!!!

Last edited:
I only went with a G as the S did not offer elevated helm at the time ... and that was a must have for me. I'd almost guarantee a new S is as nice, or nicer, than a 12 year old Q. These boats have come a long way, especially in the last 5 years.

Depending on how you plan to use the boat, 2 toons may be fine and help with finances. We have a 2 toon 115HP 21ft and love it. Just what we want. Cruising, fishing, lounging. Heavy load, it does slow down, but I really don’t care. 2 toons has handled very well. We are on a large 21 sq mile lake and are happy with it.

I don’t think I’ve seen a trade-off discussion on the topic here, but I think if I wanted to spend some extra cash, I’d go with a higher HP vs. the extra toon.

Today's S models are a lot nicer than just a few years ago, especially the premium S. Give them a close look, you might be surprised. The G is now like the R was in the same short timeframe I'm talking about.

Depending on how you plan to use the boat, 2 toons may be fine and help with finances. We have a 2 toon 115HP 21ft and love it. Just what we want. Cruising, fishing, lounging. Heavy load, it does slow down, but I really don’t care. 2 toons has handled very well. We are on a large 21 sq mile lake and are happy with it.

I don’t think I’ve seen a trade-off discussion on the topic here, but I think if I wanted to spend some extra cash, I’d go with a higher HP vs. the extra toon.

I am on a smaller - predominately no wake lake system, so two toons is perfectly adequate for me as well. But once you get above 115HP, you probably need to add a third toon anyway.

Back