Question about 2nd Bimini orientation

drjbeyer

Reaction score
So we just took delivery of our new R23 and opted to get the dual Bimini option which we definitely wanted.

The question I have is does anyone know why Bennington designed the front Bimini to lean forward (towards bow) when stowed rather than backward (towards stern)? I trailered the boat on the interstate and was really concerned the whole thing was going to snap off - it vibrated so violently in the wind.

I had an Avalon where both Biminis were leaned backwards and I think it is a cleaner look if they are in the same orientation, and it is less of a view obstruction for the driver (I think), and it never vibrated nearly as much when subjected to a headwind.

1st pic is our boat. 2nd is for illustration

Thoughts?039FEA27-298A-4C26-90B6-1158A87A61E3.jpeg

Attachments

• C2F85CEF-A424-48F1-BB1F-EF630410A641.jpeg
    C2F85CEF-A424-48F1-BB1F-EF630410A641.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 15
Certainly having the two Bimini's lean Aft looks a whole lot sexier! Visually, the bow leaning Bimini is not elegant.

Now, our double Bimini NEVER comes down all summer, so not really an issue for us. My Guess - most of the Benny's have a side door, and leaning aft would be a regular head-bonking experience. Plus, having the connector aft might not work (landing on the door vs the railing). And Then, the side door I imagine reduces the structural integrity of the side railing in the middle of the boat. These 3 items combined = Bow Leaning. I noted your 2nd picture, that toon does NOT have a side door. I wonder if any Toon with a side door has an Aft leaning front Bimini?

I wonder if this would be true for the electric versions = different structure / support design?

So then - you not having a side door, seems you could adapt the connectors to work for an Aft leaning Bimini. !?!?

But, all hypothetical guesses....

So we just took delivery of our new R23 and opted to get the dual Bimini option which we definitely wanted.

The question I have is does anyone know why Bennington designed the front Bimini to lean forward (towards bow) when stowed rather than backward (towards stern)? I trailered the boat on the interstate and was really concerned the whole thing was going to snap off - it vibrated so violently in the wind.

I had an Avalon where both Biminis were leaned backwards and I think it is a cleaner look if they are in the same orientation, and it is less of a view obstruction for the driver (I think), and it never vibrated nearly as much when subjected to a headwind.

1st pic is our boat. 2nd is for illustration

Thoughts?View attachment 32235
Can you lay it flat facing towards the stern?!?

Can you lay it flat facing towards the stern?!?
I'm assuming you can pop out the short support rails, fold them up against the main bimini rail and tie it or velcro it, then lay the front bimini all the way down. Then secure it. Don't let it scratch anything when you lay it down, though. Just an idea. Don't know if this works or not.

Back