Question about new (2014) Mercury 4 Stroke

jfrack77

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I have a question.   I was under the impression that after 20 hours of use on the new Merc 150 that service was needed (Oil/filter change, lower drive unit gear lube changed etc)   I am looking at an online manual for this engine and it says nothing about a 20 hour maintenance.   That the first maintenance should be should be done at 100 hours.   Any insight on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys and gals,

I have a question.   I was under the impression that after 20 hours of use on the new Merc 150 that service was needed (Oil/filter change, lower drive unit gear lube changed etc)   I am looking at an online manual for this engine and it says nothing about a 20 hour maintenance.   That the first maintenance should be should be done at 100 hours.   Any insight on this?
Thanks Jack,

That's the pdf i was reading and did not see the 20 hour servic listed on there.  I plan on having it done ( i have no trailer so my mechanic was going to do it while its on the lift, but he's been dodging me)   I am now at about 25 hours on the engine, and plan on taking it out again this weekend so it will be more than likely be a 30 hour maintenance.

I don't have a trailer either .The marina where I am at is a "Authorized Mercury dealer  "

They did it at the gas/service dock .

They also did the inspection .

Just my personal opinion..20 hr service should be done, it is a new engine, and has just been broken in.

The oil(s) should be drained into a clean container and inspected for metal shavings, fuel dilution, presence of water and excess discoloration. All being signs of the engine/ outdrive's  health.

For those that are mechanically inclined, this is pretty easy, for those not so inclined, it is worth paying your dealer to do it.

Peace of mind, and clean lubricants till next year ;)

I don't have a trailer either .The marina where I am at is a "Authorized Mercury dealer  "

They did it at the gas/service dock .

They also did the inspection . it
Oh wow, my mechanic said it may be an issue getting to the lower unit even with the boat on the lift..  I wonder how your mechanic got to it at the gas/service dock...  Im assuming it was still in the water no?

Just my personal opinion..20 hr service should be done, it is a new engine, and has just been broken in.

The oil(s) should be drained into a clean container and inspected for metal shavings, fuel dilution, presence of water and excess discoloration. All being signs of the engine/ outdrive's  health.

For those that are mechanically inclined, this is pretty easy, for those not so inclined, it is worth paying your dealer to do it.

Peace of mind, and clean lubricants till next year ;)
Im definitely planning on doing it, it just may not be until 30 hours!  

I was not there .I guess they could have pulled it out  .I dont think they did .

I have a friend who says they have a pump and pump his out .

Now you have me wondering .I guess I will ask how next trip to the marina ( Thursday, weather permitting ) 

For the gearcase lube... It would be damn near impossible to do this while it was in the water.

They had to have pulled it out .Unless the pump out is process is real . I cant find it if it is .

That would also explain the labor charge .

You can do the engine oil with a vacuum pump but not the lower unit. I think Bamaman said he used a kiddie pool under his motor while it was on his lift.

Dealer recommended it at 20-25 hours due to break in after that once a year or every 100 hours.  I did mine without a second thought too much dang money in the engine.

Im pretty mechanically retarded, but after watching the vids, i think I could do everything myself except for the lower unit...

You can do the engine oil with a vacuum pump but not the lower unit. I think Bamaman said he used a kiddie pool under his motor while it was on his lift.
No Bamaman didn't buy a trailer on his last boat.  Being mobility challenged, he overlooked changing the lower unit grease and he fried the gearcase. If that '85 Starcraft pontoon with the Yamaha 115 hp stroke still had a good lower unit, he wouldn't be running the Bennington. 

Seriously, I use the kiddie pool to first drain the lower unit while the new boat's on the trailer.  Then, I drain the engine oil into it.  No mechanic needed for this simple, 30 minute fluid change.  I cringe hearing about $400 periodic servicing when I spend $30.

To those that didn't purchase a trailer, you're really missing something.  While our lake house is on a fabulous lake, we've been using the trailer to go to some other area lakes.  There are dozens if incredible lakes in our region we've never seen. 

We're getting ready to tow the boat 200 miles upriver, and cruise home in two days--spending the night in a waterfront hotel.  And those with trailers should find it so much easier to perform maintenance better and keep the boat in better condition which makes it last longer.

Hey guys and gals,

I'm pretty certain it is in the manual.  I recall it being hard to find too though.  But again, pretty sure it says 20 hour service, so you might look again.  Or just have it done.

No Bamaman didn't buy a trailer on his last boat.  Being mobility challenged, he overlooked changing the lower unit grease and he fried the gearcase. If that '85 Starcraft pontoon with the Yamaha 115 hp stroke still had a good lower unit, he wouldn't be running the Bennington. 

Seriously, I use the kiddie pool to first drain the lower unit while the new boat's on the trailer.  Then, I drain the engine oil into it.  No mechanic needed for this simple, 30 minute fluid change.  I cringe hearing about $400 periodic servicing when I spend $30.

To those that didn't purchase a trailer, you're really missing something.  While our lake house is on a fabulous lake, we've been using the trailer to go to some other area lakes.  There are dozens if incredible lakes in our region we've never seen. 

We're getting ready to tow the boat 200 miles upriver, and cruise home in two days--spending the night in a waterfront hotel.  And those with trailers should find it so much easier to perform maintenance better and keep the boat in better condition which makes it last longer.
The wife and i came to an agreement that we wouldnt buy a trailer until our old boat was gone!   Which it currently is not, its still on the trailer in our driveway.   Once it is gone though, i will definitely purchase a trailer for the benny.   Where we boat though, i dont really need a trailer.   I live right on a creek and can be in the middle of the chesapeake bay in about 20 minutes.   I plan on purchasing a trailer though so that I can make an occasionaly trip to Ocean City MD (and perform the service without much difficulty)    We keep our boat on our lift so i dont think it puts the boat in any worse condition than if it were on a trailer...

There are some ( me :D   ) who prefer to drive vehicles that are not capable of towing .

If I towed ,I know I would not use the boat nearly as much .

I really like the marina ,its less than 8 miles from our house . Uncover and we are out in less than 20 minutes after leaving the house .

Next best thing would be living on the lake .

There are some ( me :D   ) who prefer to drive vehicles that are not capable of towing .

If I towed ,I know I would not use the boat nearly as much .

I really like the marina ,its less than 8 miles from our house . Uncover and we are out in less than 20 minutes after leaving the house .

Next best thing would be living on the lake .
When i got my first boat, the first season we left it on land at the marina and dropped it in every time we wanted to use it.   The marina was right across the street from the house we lived in, and it was still a royal pain in the a$$.   Second year we got the bottom painted and left it in a slip.   That was much better but the boat started having issues.     We are spoiled now living right on the water with a dock and a lift.   And yet, i still bitch to the wife about the walk down to the pier haha (its probably a 50 yard walk).   But hey, we dont have to pay for flood insurance!!!

I guess the time is right for me to post about an incident  at our marina .

I will start a new post .

Back