Question for the pros

DB_Cooper

Reaction score
I am looking at ordering a new Beeny and while talking to different dealers I'm getting different anwsers. I want lifting strakes and under skinning (wave shield), but am not interested in getting a tri toon. One dealer told me to get the twin elliptical freshwater performance package with 32" toons, talked to others and they didn't say anything and talked to my last dealer (largest benny dealer in my state) and he asked why the twin ellipical? I told him it was recomended by a dealer, I didn't know. He says all of the pontoons he orders he never gets that. He said get the express performance package with 25" toons. So I'm left with confusion. If the express is good enough then I can take the extra money and put on some other bling or something. FYI I will be mostly on Lake Pepin which is on the Missisippi River in MN. I have 3 kids so there will be some tubing. Getting a 115 Yamaha. Not looking for superior handing just to get the nose cones out of the water and go 30-35 mph. Oh yeah this is my first pontoon hence the simple question. Thanks I got one other question I'm looking at getting a 2275 GS with a 24 volt trolling motor so I will need two batteries. I've read some people put these batteries in the front to save on wiring cost and some people put them in back to help keep the extra wieght out of the bow. Any opinions or commnets on these items would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, a CSI fan. Welcome to the party. With a 115 you won't see 35 mph. With a 150 you'll see 40 mph (my choice). Express is 3 tubes with the center tube is shorter but still 3 tubes. You will also need 2 batteries just for the trolling motor I believe, I could be wrong. Get the most HP that the boat will hold. And we don't drive beenys, we drive Bennys. :D

I have the express, and it sits bow high. It helps a lot to get up on plane when the front of the boat is full of people.

The elips add a lot of extra boyancy, so the boat rides higher and planes faster. Based on what I can tell, top speed with express and strakes is about the same as elipticals (elips may win out slightly), but someone can correct me on that. The elips will allow the boat to sit a little flatter in the water. They also add a lot more stability since the boyancy is out on the far sides of the boat instead of a center tube. As I've read, both express and elips turn flat. The boat won't bank in a turn without the much more expesive ESP.

So it depends on how you'll use the boat. If you need to turn quickly (to get back to a fallen tuber) in a short amount of space like in a river, you want something that turns better... Look in the pros and power section for info on top speed with different setups.

I would definatly forgo some bling and upgrade to the 150 no matter what your tube option. I had a 2250gcw with the twin elliptical tubes and a 115. Granted, I did not have the lifting strakes, but was only able to reach 28mph with only two people on board. With a typical load of several people, I could only get 23 to 25 mph and you could forget having any fun on a tube. I have no experience with the express package so I won't comment on it. However if you go the the thread on here about props and speed, you will see some real life numbers from members. Of course it all depends on the budget, but as I said earlier, defiantly start withy the 150 and go from there. After one frustrating season with my 115, I returned and traded for another boat with a 150 and ESP package. Even if you have to spend a little more than your budget, it's better now than to be disappointed after the purchase. Plus, it will never be cheaper than it is now at the time of purchase. I learned the hard way.

I have a 22ssl with 32'' elips and lifting strakes. The boat is powered with a yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke. The best we got so far in speed is 30.3 mph on gps w/ 3 adults on board. I would be willing to bet your boat would do this with the 115, I believe the toon your looking at is about a foot longer so that means more weight and less speed.

I would consider the wave shield a requirement, I am in the process of installing one as we speak.If you look at some of my previous posts I explain the elips better but here`s the short and sweet.

The 32'' elips with the streaks give a great ride, jumps up on plane quick and gives a dry ride. Punch it and trim out and the nose is right out of the water. The spray starts around the helm area. You can plow head on into large waves and wakes and hardly notice. I believe that they really shine in rough water, I make better speed than most deep vee`s in rough water because im going full tilt and they have to slow down or risk loosing a kidney.The more people you have on board the benefit starts to dwindle, unless you have the power available.If you have 8 people on board don`t even think of doing that because your going to get wet,especially if everyone's up front. I would think the 115 would be fine for that boat. It is a pontoon boat not a speed boat. Don`t get sucked in the the belief that you need a 250 hp or you wont be happy, the price difference may decide for you.As for turning I think my toon turns awesome. I'm always surprised as to how tight it turns and the speed you can carry through a turn with no cavitation. It does turn flat but I never new that was a bad thing? As for the batts, I would try to keep the weight out of the nose. When you want to make good time down river your best to have the majority of people toward the stern this helps to keep the nose up and out of the chop.2 batts in the bow would be like an extra person up there and sometimes that makes all the difference.

BTW, my dealer has been selling mostly 32'' elips, everyone raves about them especially the boaters on the smaller rougher lakes. Im sure if I had the 3 toons I would love them too but I do believe I got lucky and followed the dealers advice on this choice. I have a toon setup for my needs, yours may be different but I can take the toon to any body of water and know im going to be soild for any condition.I am right on the Upper Niagara River and can trailer to lake Erie or lake Ontario in 20 mins either way.Lake or river it just dosen`t matter.Hope this helps

If in your shoes I would go with the twin elipticle with strakes and then you would be ok with a 115 and it should put you in the mid 30's.

My boat's a 24SSLX with Express Performance Pkg. and a Yamaha F150 and a 15 pitch Reliance stainless prop. The MSRP on the different hull options are as follows:

25” toons with lifting strakes $958

Express Performance Package w/strakes and modified wave shield $1,860

Twin Elliptical toons with lifting strakes and wave shield $2,617

Sports Performance Package w/strakes and wave shield & 32 gallon tank $3,332

SeaStar hydraulic steering $1,196

My 24SSLX is running 40 mph @ 6000 rpms, where I've seen twin ellipticals with the same engine running 42 mph. Twin ellipticals carry about the same weight, but they don't handle as well and they cost more. The 25" toons with strakes would also run fine for cruising, but twin toon boats running fast don't handle tight turns that tubing requires.

The SeaStar steering is expensive, but worth it. Another option I really like is the extended rear deck for about $913.

Your choice of a 115 horsepower would work fine with any of the above hulls, and they do very well on fuel. But for my use, I prefer the 150 hp motors which should cost about $2500 more.

Another option for someone into watersports would to go with the Mercury 115 hp Pro XS, as they'll give you another 3 mph and pull better than 4 stroke motors. They're also $500 cheaper than the 4 stroke Mercury. Downside is a little more noise of 2 strokes, but the cost of fuel is now just about the same. Mercury motors are still substantially cheaper than Yamaha's on the retail market.

Good luck!

Bigtop is correct, if you want the bigger motor do it now not later.At the most its an upgrade charge not the price for an entire motor.Look at prices of motors and you will see what he means. The lifting streaks are required for the 32'' elips as far as im concerned.You only have to see it once to know. Regular toons are like little submarines but put the streaks on and you see that it just rides on the rails with 2/3 of the front toons out of the water when trimmed up. This might afford you a little less hp if you cant swing the bigger motor. Just my .02

I can't give you any info on the express package because I have the twin ellipitcals with strakes and waveshield, but this setup works well for us. We have a 2012 GCW with a yamaha 150 hp. I have three kids 11, 9, and 7 and it is more than enough for them, and the adults, too. We have the hydraulic steering, not power steering, but honestly since I don't have it, it doesn't bother me and I don't know any different. I don't think its difficult to turn and I would guess that we are on narrower lakes than most, the Finger Lakes in NY. Depending on all the factors involved I can get between 35-40 mph. We debated between a 115 and a 150 engine. We almost bought in Feb 2012 and it would have been with a 115 hp engine. We ended up waiting until August 2012 and got the 150 hp, and I am so glad we did. We ended up with twin ellipticals because the boat was in stock on the floor, and it seemed most of the boats there had the twin ellipitcals. It does seem to do well in rougher water and with wakes. I don't have a lot of boating experience, but would agree with everyone elses comments.

CC is spot on. I also have the sea star, dont go without it. Im sure the power steering is awesome but I have never tried it so I wouldn`t know the difference either. As far as the 150 goes I would love to have that but my boat maxs out at 115. It would make it a lot better when you have lots of people on board. As for me that has not happened often so I can deal with lower performance with lots of peeps on the boat and save a little cash.

I have a 2011 2275 rcw with 32" tubes and a mercury 150hp pro xs. I love it. I ordered it this way. Didn't need to carve up in circles like a esp boat would do, but wanted something fast and that could take rough water well. It pulls tubes great with either kids or adults. The pro xs is like a etec Ho or yamaha sho, more hp and torque then a standard motor of same hp.

Make sure you get the waveshield and strikes with either set up you go with.

Good luck

Todd

Back