R Series Garmin Echo 100 to Garmin GPSMAP 547XS upgrade

oh god your costing me money

Here ya go. Many other links on the net, just search NMEA 2000 Yamaha.

http://www.canttellfishing.com/Cant_Tell/NMEA.html

The expensive part is you need a 5" VGA screen chartplotter. I did my 5" for the same cost (plus my labor) of the 4" non VGA from the Bennington order sheet. If you go this route, have THEM route the transducer cable before the shield goes on. It is 8 wire, not 4 wire like the others because it has a speed paddlewheel, temp, depth.

Tom

When you get a moment, I'd love to be educated and know what parts / pieces and where to get them to do this with my merc.

Thanks

Todd

Todd,

I sent you PM with a few details.

Tom

I wish I had the funds to do this. The new unit + cord adds up quick. I guess this gives me an idea for the next boat though!

I wish I had the funds to do this. The new unit + cord adds up quick. I guess this gives me an idea for the next boat though!
Why is it that Benny owners all seem to think about the next one! Once you're in it's game, set, match.

Me TOO!! Haha

Tom. Got um. Your a good man. Thanks kout very much. Sent you a new pm on a transducer I found at a garage sale.

Todd

OK, SemperFi, here are a few for you. There are so many screens on the MercMonitor it's hard to pick one. I like the feature where it records the top speed and associated rpm each time out. I did a brief run tonight as it captured 48.2 @5700, a bit low on the 6400 top rpm for the Verado, but not fully trimmed out and I ran out of runway.

MercMonitor

Menu

One of the many combo screens - chart/sonar/depth/sea temp with 3 inset engine readings set up for mph, boost pressure, water pressure. These are all user selectable.

Engine gauges

Sorry for blurry one
Tom,

So I looked and have good access to everything and ended up with a 536S. It is NMEA 2000 so I will be able to do the engine management. I understand it is done through T's (look like co-axial T's to me). I will obviously have to get a connection from Yamaha (assuming here) to be able to do engine management. Do you have the time to explain a little of this in layman's terms. The transducer, flush mount and power are self explanatory. Just like more info on the engine management. It is my understanding the Yamaha F series engines are readily capable.

Thanks

John 

I don't know Yamaha's very well, but if you don't need a NMEA2000 network for anything other than the GPS, there is no need for a gateway. It's just a cable direct from one to the other, something like THIS. There may be some configuration steps required though.

I don't know Yamaha's very well, but if you don't need a NMEA2000 network for anything other than the GPS, there is no need for a gateway. It's just a cable direct from one to the other, something like THIS. There may be some configuration steps required though.
If I understand correctly my new unit will do the normal GPS, speed, direction, water temp and fish finding functions. As far as the engine monitoring functions you displayed I just need this cable ?

If I understand correctly my new unit will do the normal GPS, speed, direction, water temp and fish finding functions. As far as the engine monitoring functions you displayed I just need this cable ?
That's where it gets specific to the Yamaha, so I'm not really sure. The way the NMEA (CAN) bus works, there are a certain number of message types the engine can send to the GPS/plotter. The plotter then interprets those messages coming from the engine and displays them in various formats on its screen. My setup also incorporates a MercMonitor "gateway" that converts proprietary Mercury Smartcraft format messages to NMEA2000 compatible messages and makes those available to devices on the bus. Yamaha sends out native NMEA2000 messages so you're all set there. 

THIS guide from Lowrance shows what information is available from the Yamaha on page 6. Garmin may or may not display all of those, so you have to just see what it gives you. Typically with only a 5" screen it will have multiple pages to display all of them. Mine has 3.

I hope that helps.

That's where it gets specific to the Yamaha, so I'm not really sure. The way the NMEA (CAN) bus works, there are a certain number of message types the engine can send to the GPS/plotter. The plotter then interprets those messages coming from the engine and displays them in various formats on its screen. My setup also incorporates a MercMonitor "gateway" that converts proprietary Mercury Smartcraft format messages to NMEA2000 compatible messages and makes those available to devices on the bus. Yamaha sends out native NMEA2000 messages so you're all set there. 

THIS guide from Lowrance shows what information is available from the Yamaha on page 6. Garmin may or may not display all of those, so you have to just see what it gives you. Typically with only a 5" screen it will have multiple pages to display all of them. Mine has 3.

I hope that helps.
You have been a great help. Thanks so much.

Tom,

Spoke with Yamaha today and they researched and gave me a complete list of what I need for the new Garmin and the NMEA 2000. I had to order a Multi Hub Assembly, In-Line Hub, Gateway/CL Plus NMEA 2 P/N, 1 ft Pigtail bus, 1 ft Main Bus. $431.75. Of course the new Garmin was additional. I am looking forward to installing and being able to have a ton of additional info at my fingertips as well as a great GPS/fishfinder. Thanks for your help and "inspiration". Please send check!

Sounds like they took good care of you! I'm a bit surprised you needed a gateway and full bus, but they should know what they're talking about.

Check's in the mail  ^_^

Hope so.

I have a Garmin GSMAP 536s that I want to install on my 2015 2257 GCW so I can get Yamaha engine operating data.

I've been told that this is what I need for the wiring part of the job, does this seem correct::

http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-Yamaha-Engine-Interface-Cable/dp/B0012R2PHG

http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-NMEA-2000-Network-Starter/dp/B002BBFE98

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-NMEA-2000-backbone-cable/dp/B00183QWK0

Also a suitable transducer.

Are there any more recent updates from folks that have done a Yamaha NMEA 2000 data to Garmin GPSMAP 5XXs Chartplotter installation?

Thank you.  

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't do much navigating on our little lake, but my eyes desperately needed a bigger screen and a bit of color wouldn't hurt either. I wanted a better depth finder and the ability to mark certain spots for reference. I also plan to install a Mercury Smartcraft to NMEA 2000 gateway to pipe the Verado engine data onto the Garmin's VGA screen. Garmin just introduced the 527 and 547 charplotter/sounders which are a faster than the old ones so I decided to give the new 547XS a try. I think it was Carl who said something about "cutting into a perfectly good dash" and now I know that feeling since my boat doesn't even have 10 hours yet. I just took my time with a small hand saw and it went fine, about 30 minutes work.

They sent a P66 Tri-Ducer since the Echo 100 and cable are not compatible with this device at all. It is an 8 pin connection end to end. I studied the boat on the lift for an hour and for the life of me can't figure out how I'm going to get the cable pulled from the transducer to the console. It's totally covered underneath bow to stern other than just outside some of the crossmembers under the rubrail. Even that is blocked by a riveted "L" angle next to the console where the harness passes through. Ideally I could use the old one as a pulling cable but I fear the 2 right angles somewhere crossing underneath and the fat connector would hang it up. :unsure: I have a fish tape, so I'll take a fresh look again tomorrow for some solutions.

For now I have a transducer cable running along the floor to the back just for testing and it seems to work just fine. Now I need to get creative as it's not coming out of the water until fall.
Very nice install!

Is the panel mount space where you mounted your 547 part of the original panel or is it an add on piece. Is your helm the elevated version?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have elevated helm. I just enlarged the existing Echo 100 opening slightly, using the stick on paper template Garmin provided. It fit perfectly on my "R" helm.

Back