Radio hum when running lights are on

keithkz

Reaction score
As the title states, when I am enjoying my evening rides while listening to my stereo and I turn the running lights on (bow/anchor) I get a high pitched hum/whine noise through my speakers. Very annoying. Everything is factory stock on my boat in regards to the sound system (stereo, speakers, amp). As soon as I turn the lights off the noise goes away.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Could be a bad ground connection.

As the title states, when I am enjoying my evening rides while listening to my stereo and I turn the running lights on (bow/anchor) I get a high pitched hum/whine noise through my speakers. Very annoying. Everything is factory stock on my boat in regards to the sound system (stereo, speakers, amp). As soon as I turn the lights off the noise goes away.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?
Is this a new problem ,I notice you have a 2005 ?

I would agree with a ground problem .

I bought this boat 2 years ago. It's done it ever since I've owned it.

I would still have to think it may be a ground issue .

There are other things it could be, but the ground is where I would start for all components of the stereo system.

Keith, run a loose temporary ground to the battery and to your head unit. Make sure all radio grounds at the head are good and see if that clears it up. Steve

Head unit?

Keith, just out of curiosity, what kind of lights (bulbs) are you using? I have an LED flashlight that make my shop radio buzz if i am within 10' of it.

Did Bennington offer l e d in 2005?

No, but since he bought the boat used, maybe the old owner put in some LED's. I know that LED's shouldn't produce RF interference, but you never know with some of the stuff that comes out of China!

I replaced the port bow light last year....I'm pretty sure I put a conventional one back in it (purchased it from my local Bennington dealer). I can't say for sure on the starboard but I can certainly take it apart and find out.

Just remembered that Zodapop had a hum in his stereo. Turned out to be his cell phone was to close to it. Moved the phone and fixed the hum. Never heard this before. Steve

Just remembered that Zodapop had a hum in his stereo. Turned out to be his cell phone was to close to it. Moved the phone and fixed the hum. Never heard this before. Steve
Makes sense. I use to know when my old cell phone was going to ring cause just before it did, the radio would go crazy with squelch noise.

Makes sense. I use to know when my old cell phone was going to ring cause just before it did, the radio would go crazy with squelch noise.
10-4 on that good buddy! Wonder how many of the young buck/does know what squelch is...lol

10-4 on that good buddy! Wonder how many of the young buck/does know what squelch is...lol
LOL !!! Yeah it's funny, the Jeep forums I lurk on, everyone still install CB radios ....... Look that one up all you young'uns ........ :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
My boat is at at local marina right now being worked on so I haven't had a chance to check this out yet (ground test and that link on how to check out what it is) but that is very interesting on the cell phone theory....I DO put it right at the helm so I will try that (moving my phone farther away) but I never seem to get lucky like that (easy fix).

Back