Radio hum when running lights are on

My boat is at at local marina right now being worked on so I haven't had a chance to check this out yet (ground test and that link on how to check out what it is) but that is very interesting on the cell phone theory....I DO put it right at the helm so I will try that (moving my phone farther away) but I never seem to get lucky like that (easy fix).
What kind of cell phone do you have? My iphone does not do it, but our old motorola cheapie phones still do it at work ........

The one I had last year was relatively new....a Motorola Photon smartphone. I now have a Samsung Galaxy Note II and my wife has the iPhone 5....I seriously doubt newer phones like this are going to cause the noise I'm hearing. I'm hoping to finally put the boat in the water next weekend so we'll see then.

No way cellphone interference would go away when the nav lights are turned off. Heck, we've had cellphone interference through a boom box - sounds like dee-da-dee, dee-da-dee, dee-da-dee - and it would happen even when the boom box was turned off, unplugged and without batteries. Very creepy!

I would guess ground loop hum.

I vote for a bad ground also. It can do funny things.

Well probably another week before I have the boat in the water and can check this out as I am still polishing the toons. Thans to everyone for their input. A special thanks to Rockie69 for that link to that article. I will for sure check that out.

Glad to be of assistance.

Well it must have been my old phone (that was only a year old) because I do not have that radio hum noise anymore while I have the lights on in my boat.

Back