Radio issue

guardrail22

Reaction score
When I bought my 2002 from the original owner, the radio was DOA because it was a $59 BestBuy special. I replaced with a "marine grade" 4000 from West Marine.

Last spring (2015) after a winter covered and stored in driveway that unit was also dead.

They replaced it and when I put the boat in the water last week that one was dead.

A MARINE GRADE radio should survive high humidity, high and low temps etc. right?

Do those of you with helm mounted radios remove them and take them inside for the winter?

I am putting a blanking plate on the opening in the helm and if I bother with another radio I'm going to put it inside and use a remote.

Did you check for corrosion inside the harness connection on back of radio. Mine did this numerous times. Once I put dielectric grease in the connection, it's been good going on 2 years now. 

My pins had the corrosion and I used a jewelers (eyeglasses) flat blade screwdriver to clean out what I could.  I then kept installing/removing the plug to "clean the connection". Applied some grease and that's it. 

You can also use contact cleaner.

Your problem sounds unusual to me at least. Marine units are designed for the elements and I've never removed my radio for winter storage. Have you had any other electrical issues or signs of mold growth? Perhaps you have an issue with how your boat is being wrapped. Good luck...

Back