Raised floor under helm/console

VitiminJ

Reaction score
I upgraded the floor under our console this weekend. My wife didn't like that our bags, cooler and anything else under the console got wet while speeding or tubing. So I told her I could build a raised platform using composite decking. So I went to homedepot.com and started searching for composite boards. What I found was a simple and cheap solution. I found these:

Thin composite deck tiles that snap together, 12" x 12" x 1". The boards are connected to a grid that is raised as well. Water will flow right under them. These are bright color samples, and they have several "families" of colors. Truth be told another color family would match our boat better, but these added some color. Six of them fit almost perfectly under our premium helm. I had to miter one of the hidden corners to get them all to fit. Not bad for under $35 and 10 minutes of work! Plus my wife is happy and you guys know what that means.

under helm.jpg

That‘s a great idea for those that put things under their helm. Practical, but allows drainage. Well done!

Thanks! I was shocked it was 6 sqft. For "picking up" and running to the boat, we got a lot crap! Plus when we invite other families... but we're having so much fun.

That is a cool idea! While I don't have that problem with our boat, I can see some uses for those boards around the house. Thanks for sharing!

Nice job V! How is everything under the helm getting wet when you speed or tube?

I've actually never noticed much water under there. A little bit here and there. Water coming up and over the front, or sides, water from the jackets, people and then just flows from there.

The water actually makes it way under the door. Kids standing on the deck with their life jackets pouring water on the ground, floats, tubes, etc. Slowly makes it's way under the console. Either way my update worked. I did pull them out the day after and it was dry under the tiles, so they are ventilating properly and not holding the water under them.

This is a great solution. I keep my rectangle table under the helm in a king size pillow case to try to protect the 'film' on the table from getting scratched. With water from normal use, and the fact that my cover leaves the front platform exposed, water and rain does get under the helm, needing me to wash the pillowcase every week or two to keep it from getting mildew if I don't air it out at least once a week. I will definitely look into this.

Back