Ready to make the switch!!!!

Nap22

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

I joined club Bennington recently to do some research on Bennington pontoons. I currently have a Crownline 240 EX and are really close to making the switch over to A Bennington pontoon. Every Bennington owner I have talked to has nothing but good things to say about their Bennington. I have a friend that just purchase a Bennington and said he would never own another V hull fiberglass boat again!!!

My wife and I have twin 6yr old daughters and we feel the flexibility of the Bennington offers more than what we are getting out of our Crownline. A couple things we really want is the openness of the Bennington layout and I really like the helm of the Bennington in regards to the Crownline. The. Ability to slowly pull the kids on a tube behind the pontoon vs. trying to plane out on the Crownline.

I still want some of the power and speed that I had before. We are currently looking at either the 2275 or the 2575 in the GCW or RCW models. If my research is correct in the 2275 model with ESP, strakes and a 150 hp motor I should be able to reach mid 30's fairly easy correct? My concern with going in the 2575 model same package is how much power will I loose adding the extra 500 lbs with the bigger boat? I am not asking for a speed boat but would love to reach 30 mph with 7 or 8 people on the boat. Is this achievable in these setup's or would I need a bigger motor in the 2575 series?

I enjoy looking at this forum and have not posted before since I have never had t toon before. We are excited to make the switch and have no doubts that we would love the Bennington.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

How many people will you have on a regular basis?

The 2575 is a big machine with tons of room. A 250 averagesin the low to mid 40's.

As you read the forum you will see lots of questions about props to get more speed. When you load the boats up it takes horsepower to get the speed you want. Most of the new boaters are not getting the speed they need for tubing and lots of people on board. If you have to make a choice, get a smaller boat with the biggest engine it is rated for. Not enough speed is much worse that lack of room. Been there done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally have 6 to 8 people on board. Most of the time I won't be exceeding 20 mph but since we do spend time on the Mississippi river and sometimes travel a decent distance, I would like to be able to hit low 30's with the 6 to 8 people.

To be totally honest from a 2250 ESP with 150 yamaha owner, if you get a 22 foot boat with esp get at least a 200 hp engine. The 150 does good but is a bit short on power on the top end. You will hit low 30's with how you describe but you will be doing so at wide open throttle.

It would be better economy/longevity wise in the long run with a 200 hp engine to be able to run mid 30's at 75% throttle than wide open with a 150.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely go 200, I have a 2275RCW with a 200hp Yamaha SHO, just me and the wife we hit 41.8 mph, with 4-5 adults and a couple kids you are around 36-37ish, I love it, some ways I wish I would have gotten the 250, don't really need it, but just the little extra bragging rights would be nice! Haha

Derrick

You can always throttle back too much motor. Buy your second motor first, you will never be sorry.

Definitely go 200, I have a 2275RCW with a 200hp Yamaha SHO, just me and the wife we hit 41.8 mph, with 4-5 adults and a couple kids you are around 36-37ish, I love it, some ways I wish I would have gotten the 250, don't really need it, but just the little extra bragging rights would be nice! Haha

Derrick
Agreed. Somedays I wish I had more, but it doesn;t sound like the 50hp difference gains you that much more top end.

I went with the 200 SHO with the hopes that someone will crack the code to milk the extra power out of it. It's the same exact displacement as the 250, just tuned and ported differently. Someday... someone smarter than me will hack it.

Also the 200 runs on regular unleaded whereas the 225 and 250 require premium.

I have a 2075 gli with ESP and a Yamaha f150 I am extremely happy with this set up. The boat hits mid to high 30s with a light load and easily low 30 loaded up. It will run 29 to 30 at about 5200 rpm and still achieve great gas mileage. I can ski wakeboard and pull tubers with total ease even with 7 or 8 people aboard!

We went from a Sea Ray 240 Sundeck to a QCW 2575/ESP/250 Yamaha and couldn't be happier. We usually boat with 6 to 8 people and the roominess is incredible as compared to the Sea Ray and the ride is really surprising how good it is in all water conditions (I also have the rough water package as it is a little rough on the lake on busy weekends)- much better than the Sea Ray. If you decide to go with the 2575, I suggest you look at the 250 engine and you will have no issues with the tubing and top speed you are want to achieve.

Jack

Agreed. Somedays I wish I had more, but it doesn;t sound like the 50hp difference gains you that much more top end.

I went with the 200 SHO with the hopes that someone will crack the code to milk the extra power out of it. It's the same exact displacement as the 250, just tuned and ported differently. Someday... someone smarter than me will hack it.

Also the 200 runs on regular unleaded whereas the 225 and 250 require premium.
I have not looked into the SHO engines yet but was going to start looking to upgrade this fall and was torn between the 200 which would be a perfect match without being overpowered or just going big with the 250 but didn't know the 225-250 required premium fuel, this will probably cause me to stick with the 200.

I'm happy with me 2275 w/150 Yamaha. Good all-around fit: enough power, space and fuel economy.

Thanks for all the input. with options added in i may be at the top of my price point with the 150 hp which i think will be ok.

anyone know what the difference in ride will be between the ESP and the Express Performance package, i noticed the in-floor storage is not offered with the ESP and wonder if it would be better to have the storage or added value of the ESP? one of the dealers i am looking at suggested the ESP with the bigger 55 gal tank in the center tube. any thoughts?

Thanks for all the input. with options added in i may be at the top of my price point with the 150 hp which i think will be ok.

anyone know what the difference in ride will be between the ESP and the Express Performance package, i noticed the in-floor storage is not offered with the ESP and wonder if it would be better to have the storage or added value of the ESP? one of the dealers i am looking at suggested the ESP with the bigger 55 gal tank in the center tube. any thoughts?
The floor storage is amazing. The ski and noodles fit in but the best part is throwing the playpen cover in. Trade off is that the ESP is a slower boat due to the drag from the additional wetted surface. We have one and the ride is great. Fair warning, if you think the 150 is OK it probably won't be when you load the boat with your friends.

I don't see you not being happy with the 150 it is a great motor and pushes the boat really well. The ESP is awsome rides like its on suspension and turns on a dime!!

I have the ESP package and also have in floor storage in the center toon. Maybe that is a difference on the 2575.

Jack

I have the ESP with center fuel and storage, it is great! Highly recommend the center storage, on sunday I had 2 x 2 person tubes, a kneeboard and 2 wakeboard's, plus two oars and a couple of bumpers. That is amazing! I would also HIGHLY RECOMMEND the ESP! It is worth every penny, far better performance than the express package. Sorry to those that have the express package, but it does. Have you ridden in one yet? It's an amazing feeling to be doing 25-30mph and with just your fingertips throw the boat into an amazing bank turn. I know about budgets and how we always feel like we just keep stretching them out. These are options WORTH stretching it for. You will have the boat a long time, buy it once, buy it right. I know I was worried when we were actually on our way to pick up our new boat about the amount of money, one ride and I never thought about it again!

Derrick

I have the ESP with center fuel and storage, it is great! Highly recommend the center storage, on sunday I had 2 x 2 person tubes, a kneeboard and 2 wakeboard's, plus two oars and a couple of bumpers. That is amazing! I would also HIGHLY RECOMMEND the ESP! It is worth every penny, far better performance than the express package. Sorry to those that have the express package, but it does. Have you ridden in one yet? It's an amazing feeling to be doing 25-30mph and with just your fingertips throw the boat into an amazing bank turn. I know about budgets and how we always feel like we just keep stretching them out. These are options WORTH stretching it for. You will have the boat a long time, buy it once, buy it right. I know I was worried when we were actually on our way to pick up our new boat about the amount of money, one ride and I never thought about it again!

Derrick
What in the world are the 2 oars for? Set on fire when the propane is out on the grill? :D

What in the world are the 2 oars for? Set on fire when the propane is out on the grill? :D
Haha, I've actually used them, only because the boat got in a wee bit shallow on a rockbed, so decided I didn't feel like getting wet, so pushed the boat out with oars!Haha

Derrick

I have not looked into the SHO engines yet but was going to start looking to upgrade this fall and was torn between the 200 which would be a perfect match without being overpowered or just going big with the 250 but didn't know the 225-250 required premium fuel, this will probably cause me to stick with the 200.
Looking at the specs online, the 200 and 225 SHO's use 87 minimum and 250 SHO is 89.

Yamaha SHO specs

Back