Regular Street Gas on Lake Travis

drago

Reaction score
I posted this on another pontoon forum but thought I might throw the question out here. I'm wanting to find street gas (at street prices - ~$2/G) on Lake Travis. I'll be speeding up and down there for about a week and will most likely burn ~100 gallons. After checking the current prices at the marinas, find it runs $3.39-4.50/gallon for the regular Valve-Tech treated or non-ethanol. The higher priced regular is ethanol free. Would not mind saving some coin but an extra $140 on this trip will not break the bank (staying at The Island with slip rental - not a low cost vacation). On our lake, we buy gas at several places that are connected to street venues like McDonalds or Valaro and sell at normal pump prices. Anyone know if street price gas is easy to come by on Lake Travis?

Sorry, can't help you with that but enjoy your vacation. Sounds like a great time!

I've never heard of street prices on a lake.

This is from Jack M. Look up Lake Travis. I'm sure you can find the places near where you're staying that you can fill up at. Maybe they'll have the street prices you are looking for.........

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

I've never heard of street prices on a lake.

It's gas that sales on the street but is available at floating pumps at the same price as the street. We get ours at the Valero and McDonalds seen in the pix of one of the southern coves on our lake. Street prices about $2/g.

street gas Lake Conroe.jpg

It's gas that sales on the street but is available at floating pumps at the same price as the street. We get ours at the Valero and McDonalds seen in the pix of one of the southern coves on our lake. Street prices about $2/g.

View attachment 1751

They must make a killing at $2 a gallon!

View attachment 1751

Lake Conroe? Looks like Montgomery TX.

Well, here's the deal. Those floating docks are a cheap convenience to buy gas. The McDonalds is a Shell gas dealer on highway 105 15km west of Conroe and 10km east of Montgomery. And yes, lakeliving, it has a Montgomery zip 77356. The Valero on the west (left) side of the cove is also a street gas station selling at the dock also. I have never needed non-ethanol fuel and don't care to pay the ~$1.40 premium for it. I use Seafoam for occasional treatment while running and Stabil Marine when stored. I treat in the Winter when low usage and burn too much in the Summer to care. I'm just wishing we could find similar gassing spots on Travis.

Someone pointed me to a local CBS news clip mentioning Zebra Mussels being found in Lake Travis recently. That might require some careful examination of the trailer and boat when home. The little buggers start out really small. At least I removed the carpet from my bunks a few years ago so maybe a good hosing down will help. I'll store the boat off water when I get back home.

Gassing Cove Location web.jpg

There is no street gas on Travis.  All of the pumps are at Marinas and they charge a premium.  The area where your hotel is located is a very nice community.  There are a lot of regular gas stations nearby; I suggest you use the Jerry Can and Super Siphon method.  Just keep it on the downlow around the resort docks.

Be cautious entering / exiting that resort marina.  Stay tight to the dock side of the channel and lift your motor a bit.  The dept there from silt flow can go quickly down to a few feet either side of the channel.  No rocks; just muck.

If you turn right coming out of the resort you will head toward the Marble Falls dam.  It's less populated up that way and the scenery is beautiful.  The fishing is good up there if you are doing that.  Turning left out of the resort takes you to the main body of the lake, the party coves, the marinas, and the crowds.  Keep your head on a swivel while underway down there because the jet skis and amateurs in rentals are about.

Thanks Chrisbert, We have stayed there a couple of times '08 and '10. Great place. The first time out 2 year old boat rubbed the code box at entry and nearly pulled it out of the ground. I got it and our rub-rail straightened up b4 anyone caught on. Second visit, we parked under a dripping pipe in the garage and it cause some paint damage to our '09 PU but was able to salvage that. They have nicer slips now but nowhere to store the trailer so will park it at my Mothers house in Point Venture. I'll just get gas at Briarcliff most of the time. It's deep, clean and the crew does a good job. Good Ships Store also. Thanks for the tip on depth. I watch closely the depth gauge and do not depend on the Navionics surveys too much. Back then, the lake was down to much to get to the Marble Falls Dam. We'll try again. The Jan. '17 Google Earth looks to show it passable now. We got as far as the Narrows - lots of sandbars and trees then. We tried to shadow a couple of boats in slips near us in 2010 but they had 1800 and 600 big Dobermans each.

Fast-from-Louisiana.jpg

Fast-from-Oklahoma.jpg

that is Lake Conroe. Heading there next week I think. Then down to Port O'Conner to night fish reds and flounder in Matagorda Bay in October off Pass Cavallo.

Back