Remove the Propeller and inspect and lube the shaft?

joanello

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha 150hp outboard. My service mechanic wants to remove the propeller and check for issues and lube. I only put 30 hours on the motor since last Mach. How often do you have to remove the propeller and inspect?

I do winter storage at my dealer. I get a full inspection and all fluids and filters changed no matter what my hours are. They remove the prop as part of the inspection to check for fishing line which will cut your seals .

Our boat and motor have a thorough going through seasonally with winter storage like Jack above. So regardless of hours, 1x/year. Mercury basically recommends it all every 100 hours OR 1 time per year if hours are less.

Personally, I think those that follow the recommended guidelines are the ones that don’t end up stranded on the water at some point (short of striking something with a prop or something big in the water). I feel like a lot of the “tows” come from those that shirk upkeep, and half the time what shut them down could have been pretty easily prevented.

Maybe that’s what I tell myself to justify springing for extensive annual service too. Hmmmm…lol

if they are charging you extra then screw them, take it to a beach, lift the motor, take about the prop wrench out and remove. Inspect add some prop grease. done. takes maybe 10 minutes at the most. Very simple and easy.

I did my first propellar change last year - it was a good thing I had an extra hub. Taking the propeller off - no issue. Getting the hub out - had to take it home and find the right set of tools and bars and wood blocks to get that hub out. I will doing my second swap in late April - let's see how easy it is this year to get swap out.

I have a Yamaha 150hp outboard. My service mechanic wants to remove the propeller and check for issues and lube. I only put 30 hours on the motor since last Mach. How often do you have to remove the propeller and inspect?
Joanello how long have you had your boat and total hours?

I do mine annually. Luckily I’ve never had any fishing in wrapped around it. My gear line looks as golden coming out as the day I put it in.

If I put 3 hours or 30 hours on a outboard for a season, its still getting the prop removed, checked for fishing line or bad seals and new gear lube. Part of my year end winterization process

I just sold my Benny with 143. hours via Vessel View after 13 years of ownership. I changed gear lube every year, fuel water separator filter every year, the mercury fuel filter every year, water pump every 3 years, and put iridium spark plugs in it every 3 years as well.
To me its about piece of mind.

Back