RePowering

Boat is in and now has 2.5 hours. For those that are wondering…. Top rpm so far is 5100 at 31 mph. Until engine is completely broke in, I’m leaving everything as is. Would like to see rpm closer to 5800, but not sure yet how to achieve without losing speed. Also still debating on Mobile Vessel View.

Boat is in and now has 2.5 hours. For those that are wondering…. Top rpm so far is 5100 at 31 mph. Until engine is completely broke in, I’m leaving everything as is. Would like to see rpm closer to 5800, but not sure yet how to achieve without losing speed. Also still debating on Mobile Vessel View.
Are you following the Mercury Breakin Procedure for your new motor?

Mercury Marine Break-in Procedure

Getting Your Specific Mercury Marine Owners Manual Electronically

Yep. Various speeds up to 4500 rpm’s and full throttle no more than 1 minute with at least 10 minutes in between. Have only open it up 3 times in 2.5 hours.

Break-in Procedure

IMPORTANT: Failure to follow the engine break-in procedures can result in poor performance throughout the life of the engine and can cause engine . Always follow break-in procedures.

1. For the first two hours of operation, run the engine at varied throttle settings up to 4500 RPM or at three-quarter throttle, and at full throttle for approximately one minute every ten minutes.

2. For the next eight hours of operation, avoid continuous operation at full throttle for more than five minutes at a time

What prop did you go with ?

Good deal. That was the same procedure for our 200HP Mercury Verado Pro. Just wanted to pass it along just in case. Like Jack, curious what prop you went with. That will likely be the biggest key in how that motor performs with your boat.

Really want to see the rpms come up closer to 5700 to 5800. Hopefully in the next two weeks. If need be, maybe switch out to 16 x 15 or 16 x 14

You definitely do not want to go 16x15 if your 15x15 is that far off on RPM. If anything you'd want to drop pitch, but maybe even diameter too as running below the recommended RPMs can cause issues (longevity, maybe even fuel efficiency).

I'd make sure everything else is running as designed before changing out a bunch of props. First and foremost toons are perfectly clean as that can sap RPM/speed dramatically. Then verify mounting height of the engine which can free up a couple hundred RPM if currently too high. Fuel - new water separator was installed? Fresh fuel?

Is this cable or electronic throttle? I'd want to verify also that when your binnacle is WOT it's actually commanding the throttle body full open.

A lot of this should be on the installing dealer, they should be responsible for ensuring everything is installed properly and running per OEM, then you can try different props.

You definitely do not want to go 16x15 if your 15x15 is that far off on RPM. If anything you'd want to drop pitch, but maybe even diameter too as running below the recommended RPMs can cause issues (longevity, maybe even fuel efficiency).

I'd make sure everything else is running as designed before changing out a bunch of props. First and foremost toons are perfectly clean as that can sap RPM/speed dramatically. Then verify mounting height of the engine which can free up a couple hundred RPM if currently too high. Fuel - new water separator was installed? Fresh fuel?

Is this cable or electronic throttle? I'd want to verify also that when your binnacle is WOT it's actually commanding the throttle body full open.

A lot of this should be on the installing dealer, they should be responsible for ensuring everything is installed properly and running per OEM, then you can try different props.

Thanks, The toons are super clean as I’m the first one in this year. This is all analog and if I change pitch, it will be to 14 or 14.5. The dealer is spot on with everything. Like I said, until break in is over…no changes are gonna be made.

Some dealers will allow you to 'try' props to find desired choice (providing they are returned in perfect condition of course). If this is the case, a bottle for the parts man for his troubles is appropriate.

Our dealership allowed us to test a couple props when what they put on it wasn’t performing as well as expected back in 2017. They sent a tech over to test them with me (I think to prove me wrong because they we CERTAIN they had it right…lol). That was a nice bonus as he was switching them around instead of me having to do it.

2nd test prop increased performance significantly and dialed all the numbers in properly. I thanked the dealership for “humoring me” and working to dial in my new boat.

I stopped by the next day with a six pack of the tech’s favorite beer (called someone I knew at the dealership to find out for me). I also posted a positive review for the dealership for being willing to do that and specifically mentioned the service manager.

Never hurts to reinforce & reward positive or helpful behavior. ;)

Thank you to everyone. Today during break in hour 5, engine hit 5100 rpm at full throttle….32 mph. After break in, my dealer has told me they will accommodate for a better prop if needed. So far, so good. I’m thinking decreasing the diameter of prop and changing to 14 pitch. Time will tell. Meanwhile, I’m very happy with Mecurys performance to date. Vesselview will arrive Friday to help confirm the rpm’s and mph.

It seems real data on the "Best Prop" remains elusive, especially given all the possible configurations and uses. I have complied 39 pages of tests and comments, I will try to summarize this below. The Mercury Prop Selector for the big engine TriToon recommends (the the result details only reference engines up to 115HP???):

Handling: Rev 4 14.6x17 - But is that cornering vs low speed docking vs ???
Acceleration & Top Speed: Enertia 14.75x16 - This one we all understand!
Fuel Economy: Enertia ECO 16x17 - OK, but by how much?
Overall: Enertia 14.5x17 - I would love to see how they weighted the above factors

http://www.carefreeboatsales.com/prop-testing.html - compiled a great article on different engines, weight, and other variables, but never really published their findings on props. I sent an inquiry.....

https://www.boatingmag.com/mercury-enertia-eco-pro/ - has a great summary of the ECO fuel economy savings (21% to 43% - that would equal about $300 to $600 fuel savings per season for me per the $1.5K spend per year), but this was on a V Hull on long distance runs...generally not our primary usage. Interestingly, they did not compare / use an Enertia (Mirage vs Rev4 vs ECO).

https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/choosing-right-prop/ is the BEST comparison I have found, but again on center console V hull, though still GREAT relative data:
Enerita 14 7/8 x 17 VS Enertia 14 7/8 x 16 VS Rev 4 14 5/8 x 17: MPH & 0-20MPH Seconds
Light Load 46.4 & 3.6s / 44.9 & 3.5s / 41.9 & 3.4s
Heavy Load 43.9 & 4.5s / 43.0 & 3.9s / 41.8 & 4.3s

Online I bumped into a seemingly knowledgeable sales guy claim they specialized in Bennington ESP's, and strongly suggested the Rev 4 was really the best all-around on the 25' plus ESP's - if you did not mind giving up the few MPH (as noted above). He also made on interesting point that the 25" Merc's shafts were actually shorter, and thus best on the lowest or one from lowest depth, while this was NOT true for the Merc V10 or Yamahas (which seems to by why we get different answers on engine mount position). Of course we are still missing solid data on the ECO prop with such detailed comparison, and I still don't know what "better handling" really is. If this means docking is significantly more responsive, then that could be a real factor worth considering!

Though with my 14.7x16 - I do love zipping past most other boats on our huge lake as we take the 20 to 40 mile "cruise" to the center or north end of the lake a few times per season (though the CAT's and Twins make me look like I am standing still)... now would saving $60 to $120 of gas per trip be worth passing a few extra boats, or having a LOT better control when docking in our very tight space...details to contemplate....I think I need more data and another beer :cool: .

Attachments

• 1713373946330.png
    1713373946330.png
    444.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Dealer provided a new prop today. A 14 x 14 Mercury Spitfire. We both think this will bring the rpms up substantially on the new 150 Mercury. At present, I’m getting per Vessel View….5010 rpms at 32 mph. (15.5 x 15 prop) Hopefully this new prop will work more efficiently. Remember I have 2 logs with No lifting strakes. It’s an old pontoon for pleasure , high speed is not important.

I’ve got a 2012 2275 RL 2-tube with a merc 115 4S. Just switched from a factory 13p 3 blade aluminum to a Quicksilver Nemesis 13p 4 blade. Obviously motors are different but the handling is so much better on the 4 blade. We’re on a small lake but I can get 24-25mph at 5800 with light load and clean tubes. Docking/turning is easier and hole shot is better. It’s got the Flo-torque hub (and I keep a spare and hub wrench on board) so I’ve got no worries. I would have gone stainless if I had a 150. Either way, keep a 4blade. Top speed is not why you own a toon. Jealous of your repower!

Your specs are pretty much spot on for the configuration you mention. My previous engine was a 115 HO Evinrude with a 13.75 x 13 SS propeller by solas. Mph was around 27 to 28 with 2 people. This new Mercury is a little bit better for me with a 5 yr warranty. At present…. 14 x 14 four blade prop at 5450 rpm and 30 mph.

Are you happy with those results?
Yes… so far so good. My pontoon is just a pontoon, no lifting strakes or foils. Just a nice quality boat that serves me well.
Good deal - seemed like your primary goal was getting the RPMs up so mission accomplished there. Wondering if losing a few mph was acceptable - there probably is still a prop out there that can get you the higher RPM but keep the speed, but it'll take more testing than you probably care for. Sometimes you gotta let it go, and just go boating!

Back