Road (Water) Test Under Skinning

H2GO

Reaction score
Had the chance to test out my new under skinning yesterday on Lake Fenton. The water was pretty rough with 20 mph winds. Wow what an improvement of the ride. The pontoon glides smoothly over the waves now without any surging at all. Not sure on the speed yet but going 90 degrees to the wind I hit 28.9 mph with a full tank and my lovely bride on board giving me the stink eye. I'm thinking I will surely exceed the pre-skin top speed of 30.1 mph. Well worth the money to do this DIY project.
upload_2018-5-2_13-30-44.png

upload_2018-5-2_13-31-34.png

Last edited:
Nice work, H2GO!

Nice job! Can you enclose that area on top of the toons like that back area is??? Water gets up there too and might make an even bigger difference in your ride......

Nice job. Something I want to do also. Where do you get your Aluminum? I'm in the Brighton area.

Nice job. Something I want to do also. Where do you get your Aluminum? I'm in the Brighton area.
I found it at Aluminum Supply Company in Detroit. Around $100 for a 4x10 sheet. It’s 5052 .063” thickness. Good stuff. Took almost three full sheets. This place is in the ghetto but half the price of everyone else in the area.

Nice job! Can you enclose that area on top of the toons like that back area is??? Water gets up there too and might make an even bigger difference in your ride......
Yes I think I have enough left to cut some 4 foot long pieces to put on the sides. I'm planning to do that when I pull the boat back out for our Torch lake run in July.

Nice job! Its amazing how much difference it makes!

Yes I think I have enough left to cut some 4 foot long pieces to put on the sides. I'm planning to do that when I pull the boat back out for our Torch lake run in July.
Great sounds good!

OK here are my official non-scientific test results for under skinning on a two log boat:

Calm water with no wind - There is no appreciable gain in top speed. I hit exactly my top speed from before the under skinning which is 30.1 mph. Ride is smooth with or without the under skinning in calm seas. It did seem like I could raise the front a little more with the trim though but I'm not sure yet.

Choppy water - Noticeable gain of speed by at least 3 mph. The ride significantly improved with no surging at all. Lot's of water shooting out the back of the pontoon.

Considering we use the pontoon mostly on weekends with plenty of big wake out there I give it two thumbs up. Don't expect huge top speed gains but expect to smile when she glides across the waves.

Thanks , I also added the under skin to my boat as well over the winter 2250gl, I plan on getting to the lake in a couple of weeks for testing, Thanks for the update enjoy your ride!

Finally got to the lake to test my under skin. Boat rides smother in rough water and I do not get the surging it had before when encountering waves. A little disappointed that it did not help the top speed even one mph.

Back