RPM Too High???

Jack65K

Reaction score
I took delivery of my QCW 2575 on Saturday and started the engine break in procedure on my Yamaha F250. When I reached the point where I could go to WOT for short periods of time, I tried it and the boat (with 4 adults and 2 kids and about 40 gallons of gas) very quickly pegged the tach at 7,000rpm and I quickly back off as I did not think it was supposed to rev that high. Is that too high?? I will call the dealer this morning and see what they say. The engine came with a Yamaha prop, the Salt Water Series and the diameter is 15.5" and the pitch is 17 and is one of the props recommended for the engine on the Yamaha prop selection guide.

By the way - LOVE THE BOAT - the comfort and the ride was better than I expected - good job Bennington!

Jack

I would definitely say that is too high. I have the 200 SHO with a 15x15 3/4 saltwater series II on a 2275RCW ESP, I'm maxing out about 5600-5700 rpm 41.6 mph 2 on board with 56 gallons of fuel. That is the recommend prop as you stated and yamaha does have performance reviews on their website using a Bennington. Check it out if you haven't already.

Derrick

Could also be that the switches are not set for the proper engine on the back of the tack. They have Inline / v-6 and v-8 positions. Had this issue on my first boat.

Thanks for the quick replys.

I talked to the dealer and they said that the engine (Yamaha F250) has a factory set rev limiter (he thought it is set at about 6,250rpm) and if you reach it an alarm will sound and the engine will go into "protection mode" and start backing down the rpms (I guess this in case of severe prop damage so the engine will not self distruct if it starts "free wheeling"). I did not have any alarms or anything happening when it registered 7,000rpm so the dealer figures it is a problem with the tach and wants me to try it again and if it does it again with no alarms then they will get the tach fixed. I will look at the back of the tach the next time I am able to get to the lake and see if the switch might just be in the wrong position.

Thanks

Jack

Wild and Free - You nailed it! Finally got back to the lake for a very short trip and repositioned the switch on the back of the tach and now I show 750rpm at idle and 5,800rpm at WOT.

Thanks

Jack

Your welcome! We are all here to help one another out.

Back