Rpm

Pager

Reaction score
New Bennington 168 sfe with a Yamaha 40hp. It won't go past 3000 rpm wot gps says only 8mph. Is this normal this is my first toon I had a bass boat before.

Welcome to the forum Pager. Gotta ask,what does the name mean? 

As for the pontoon vs the bass boat. The rpm's have to do with the motor and prop set up.With the assumption that the motor is running correctly,it sounds like the motor is over propped. And if so,the motor is not able to get up to the correct RPM's.

I'm sure Sempfi will chime in on this subject. He's the expert on small HP and pontoons. His boat has a 20 HP on his 23' boat.

Welcome! And Semper's 20 HP will do 33 MPH  GPS, so you still have hope for that 40. He'll tell you what you need to do. 

;) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
1blderbob pager is just my last name with a r added. Hopefully someone can help I was hoping to at least go 15 mph .

8 mph is not normal and you should get at least 15 mph out of the 40HP on your size boat.  I have a small motor on my boat as I am on a restricted speed lake.  My motor size is 25HP on a 22 SLX and I can get 11-12 mph out of that motor at about 4800 rpm's.  You should get back to the dealer as something is not set correctly. 

8 mph is not normal and you should get at least 15 mph out of the 40HP on your size boat.  I have a small motor on my boat as I am on a restricted speed lake.  My motor size is 25HP on a 22 SLX and I can get 11-12 mph out of that motor at about 4800 rpm's.  You should get back to the dealer as something is not set correctly. 

Are you in the Kansas City area?  kcman

Pacer, I'd have to agree that it sounds like you have the wrong prop. The first thing is to determine what your WOT RPM range is and then go from there. BTW, welcome and post a picture for us!

Called Yamaha and they said to take it in should be hitting at least 6000 RPM. Just got it and off for repair. Thanks everyone for the advice.

May not need to sent off for repair. It, as mentioned, might only be a prop issue where there is too much pitch for that size motor. 

Thought I'd throw this out there.

ETEC_WOT.jpg

2011-EVINRUDEE-TecOptimumRPMChart_zps78e45282.jpg

Just read this. 

Thanks for the help everyone! I went with the 9P Solas Amita 3 Blade. I now have 5000RPM and 17-18 MPH, but the best improvement is in low speed handling and also cruising speed. With a bunch of adults on board I can cruise at 11 MPH at 3,000 RPM. That classic 40 inline 4 is quiet enough to talk without yelling at that speed. Perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
No we actually live in Tennessee. 

Just wondering when I saw the KC. Spent a lot of time in Knoxville early in my career and loved it.

Back