Rub Rail Add-On

DanielG

Reaction score
I've searched on the forums and can't find anything relating to this topic specifically, although I'm sure there is somewhere.
I just got my 2018 22 SSRX a couple months ago and there is no rubber rub rail around the perimeter. I've gotten a couple of very small nicks in the aluminum rail on the corners and would like to see if there is some type of after-market rub rail that anyone has installed or if anyone has used anything to protect the front rail and corners that looks nice, I'd like to know.

I'm in the same boat (so to speak) but was thinking of having the dealer add it this fall. Let me know what you end up doing.

I'm in the same boat (so to speak) but was thinking of having the dealer add it this fall. Let me know what you end up doing.

Michiman, I may wind up going through the dealer also. Just my dealer wants an exorbitant amount for everything add-on so I was looking for a better solution. To upgrade those speakers and add a sub, they quoted me over $2000 and I wound up doing it for less than $400. Just trying to be prudent and watch the funds. lol

Yikes! I can appreciate your position and I think that my dealer will likely be on the high side as well. I'm going to check the "boat builder" to see how much the option costs to add to a new build and then see what my dealer wants to charge me. If it's a lot more, I might make it a DIY project. One complicating factor is that I have no trailer and my boat sits in the water all season.

I was just looking on the boat builder to see how much an extended aft would have cost, I think the rub rail from the factory is dirt cheap like $79!!! I could be wrong though.;);):D

That is rub rail protectors. Rub rail is usually $500+ on the boat builder.

Rub rail isn't cheap. Ours has it, but I was considering replacing the rubber insert since ours is "scuffed up" with use over time. Needless to say, ours is functional and I've decided against replacing it for aesthetic reasons.

We got our 22-SSX off the floor at our dealer's boat show, but it did not come with an HD rub rail like we would have liked to have. Our dealer checked with Bennington about swapping it out for us, but it was BIG BUCKS to do that because the rail is all integrated as a single unit, so all the old would have needed to be taken totally off, then totally replaced with an all new rail. Bad news from a price standpoint if not already ordered that way from the factory. Instead, our dealer had some pvc-type rub rail as a Plan B option for us. They used black to match our black panel color, and mounted it with countersunk stainless screws about every foot. They heated it so it stayed tight even around the corner curves. It is centered on the silver railing that runs around the edge of the deck of the boat. It looks seriously awesome. It was only a few hundred dollars for us, installed. Our neighbors at the lake don't know it was fabricated by our dealer rather than being ordered that way from the factory -- so don't tell anyone. We wish it would have been originally ordered from Bennington with the HD rub rail ... but our dealer did good for us. It has really been a very wise investment ... believe us.

Instead, our dealer had some pvc-type rub rail as a Plan B option for us. They used black to match our black panel color, and mounted it with countersunk stainless screws about every foot. They heated it so it stayed tight even around the corner curves. It is centered on the silver railing that runs around the edge of the deck of the boat. It looks seriously awesome. It was only a few hundred dollars for us, installed.

Would love to see some pics when you get the chance.

That looks really nice! Do you know if this is one piece PVC moulding or if it is a track/insert type? If you happened to find out what product your dealer used I'd be interested in knowing. I would seriously consider doing this to mine. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
The material is obviously important, but the installer is as important, if not more so. My dealer had his most experienced technician install it, just to make sure it was all perfectly straight, level, tight, and evenly spaced. It is a rigid PVC-like material, in my case all black, and comes in long strips. It is flat on the back, then you can see the surface shapes in the pics. It took 2 (maybe 3?) strips to do the whole railing on our 22-SSX that includes an extended aft deck. However, it is really difficult to tell it is not just a one-piece rail, unless you are specifically trying really hard to find any seams. I'm not sure when/if I can find out the exact specifics on the material they used, but if I can I'll be glad to post it.

Rub rail isn't cheap. Ours has it, but I was considering replacing the rubber insert since ours is "scuffed up" with use over time. Needless to say, ours is functional and I've decided against replacing it for aesthetic reasons.
You can get most of those scuffs out and get that rub rail really clean again. I use that Totally Awesome cleaner from the Dollar store. Just spray it on let it sit for a few seconds and start wiping it off with a rag/sponge. Good stuff!

I said I would post material specifics if/when I could find them. My dealer used Rigid Vinyl Rub Rail, Black, 20' X 1-7/16" X 1/2", Quantity of 3, and it cost about $100 each at that time from Taco Marine Supply. However, my exact material (V213671BKA20D) is no longer available as new stock today. I'm sure you can browse online, or your dealer can help you find an acceptable option. Good luck!

Back