Run time out of water

CapKaz

Reaction score
Cedar Hill, MO / Mark Twain Lake Perry, MO
How long would it take to damage the impeller on a Yamaha 150 if it was left running after pulling out of the water? The motor had been run all day. We had just loaded and drove from the ramp to the parking lot. I would estimate time to be less than three minutes.

I would change it.

One drawback to these new motors being so dang quiet, you have to check and check again if they are running.  Its like dragging your skeg up the ramp on V hull, you only do that once.    

You can test it to see if it's damaged or not.  Connect the hose up to the flushing port, and run the motor at idle (I know, the book says not to do this, but it is perfectly safe.  Just don't rev the motor.  Leave it at idle).  If you have a good stream of water coming out of the pee hole, your impeller is fine.  If not, it's bad.

You can test it to see if it's damaged or not.  Connect the hose up to the flushing port, and run the motor at idle (I know, the book says not to do this, but it is perfectly safe.  Just don't rev the motor.  Leave it at idle).  If you have a good stream of water coming out of the pee hole, your impeller is fine.  If not, it's bad.

I think that might give a false positive as the hose pressure will cause it to shoot out there. I'm pretty sure flushing mine on the hose with the motor off will result in the pee stream. Testing with muffs on the lower unit will actually tell if the impeller is pulling the water up and moving it around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never ran the motor with the flush connection.   Why would they say don't do it if it's perfectly safe....  just for the fun of it?  I don't know enough about the engine water pathways to know if it's safe,,, it may be,  but until Yamaha says go for it I'll pass.   Mine wouldn't even stream with a single sided water input muff but it does work with a double sided water input muff. 

Back