s model question

Davey25

Reaction score
I thought the only difference between a sl and slx was the side panels..I just bought a 20 with the curvy side panels which I thought would be an slx but it only says sl on the sides..looked at the receipt and says slx...in the brochure its says slx but u look close at the boat its the same as mine sl with curvy panels..please help.. also I noticed the panels that cover the area above the pontoon are just plain aluminum and the boat that had 25" and that actually said slx had fancier ones that matched the edge of the boat...sorry for the long post lol

Dave,

Could you clarify just a bit? The 'x' in the name refers to the 'x rails' only. The panels stay the same whether you have an SL or SLX. I am also confused abou the refernece to 25" and the area above pontoons. LOL. I guess we just need a little clarification.

OK so I've got the fancier rails but like the previous post mine says 20SL on the side. As per that side thing I noticed my 23 pontoons have just a plain skirting the part between the the deck and the pontoon that hides the framework... the one beside it had 25's and the skirting on that one was like corrugated and matched the rub rail. Makes it look a bit better but some ppl wouldn't even notice...as for the theory on using old 20SL stickers doesn't make sense to me..why would a company use a 10cent sticker and improperly brand there boat...

Yes, mine says 22SFFX. I have a picture of it in the gallery. Here it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our pontoon is the 24 SSRX (we hope), but the side lettering only displays as SSR. We were wondering what as the difference between the SSRX and the SSR. Based on the previous posts, the difference seems to be the railings.

Our pontoon is the 24 SSRX (we hope), but the side lettering only displays as SSR. We were wondering what as the difference between the SSRX and the SSR. Based on the previous posts, the difference seems to be the railings.
Yes, the difference is the railings. The "X" stands for the x railings. Look in this "mirror" thread and you will see the pics posted by Team Bennington.

Sorry guys, the omission of the X is not because we are cheap (obviously!). Moreover, it is related to a marketing decision last August. All S series boats were intended to have the X rails in 2013, so there was no need to call out X. (We made the same move a couple of years ago when we dropped the "i" from RL and GL models)

At model year change, a few dealers requested the older style "flat panel" S rails for a lower price point. We complied, but did not change our model designator graphics to differentiate between the two rail styles. We thought is was self-evident. :eek: Then, some dealers asked for the X, so we eventually added the X and have ended up with a mixed bag of model designators, depending on when the boat was built.

Honestly, please do not let an X interfere with a great boating experience! :)

"X"ellent answer .... :)

TB just learned that we have stopped doing the X completely. The decision was made that it is an option/upgrade for the S series and no need to call it out.

I'd still rather have an x on mine...if I ever try and sell the boat and try to tell people its an x model and its worth more and they don't know the difference their going to think its kinda weird when it only says SL...and the paperwork doesn't match the boat either...having 2 different boats with 2 different names but only one designation still makes no sense to me

Here's a thought for those wanting an X. Go to your local sign/graphics shop, have them match the font and color and buy a couple of Xes.

I can't imagine it would cost more than a few bucks.........

Actually, it doesn't even have to match, it could be bigger with a long "slashing stroke" for the X, kinda like a Z71 truck designation. Be easier to do.

I was wondeRing the same thing. Although I don't really care it is obvious is you have a X because of the rails. But am I reading this right the SLX no longer technically exist? Maybe Bennington could provide us SLX (SL) owners with new decals since the company is not "cheap" lol

Wow, lots of discussion about labeling. We ordered our SSLX with no logos or model designations at all. Hope it comes in that way. I figure I have already paid my advertising dues when I wrote the original check. + I am a designer and have a bit of respect for the lines intended.

But I am the guy who also ordered several Pontiac Trans Am's in the seventies with no screaming eagle decals. Guess I just like the sleek and clean look that designers intended before branding get's ahold of them. Folks who look close will see the upgraded Bennington cleats though.

Can't wait to get it on the lake. 14 days to go. (I hope)

Sorry guys, the omission of the X is not because we are cheap (obviously!). Moreover, it is related to a marketing decision last August. All S series boats were intended to have the X rails in 2013, so there was no need to call out X. (We made the same move a couple of years ago when we dropped the "i" from RL and GL models)

At model year change, a few dealers requested the older style "flat panel" S rails for a lower price point. We complied, but did not change our model designator graphics to differentiate between the two rail styles. We thought is was self-evident. :eek: Then, some dealers asked for the X, so we eventually added the X and have ended up with a mixed bag of model designators, depending on when the boat was built.

Honestly, please do not let an X interfere with a great boating experience! :)
As a new customer ,I think you should put the "X" back on, as not to confuse new customers .

When we looked at the floor model it was designated " SLM " which is what we ordered .As it turns out it the floor model is a "SLXM" .

Either way I am sure we will enjoy it when it arrives . ( if the snow & ice ever melts in Northern Michigan )

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear about the mix up. I do understand Bennington's train of thought, it is an option, not a model. Albeit confusing due to the earlier branding, but I would have to say the weight on this one was your dealer. They should have known you liked that railing system and brought it up. But as you have said, it will still be a GREAT boat! Besides, if your like me, you'll be wanting to trade up in two years, ok one year this time, but then I'M DONE! Well unless Bennington steps it up again! Hehe

Back