Safe Harbor Radar Alert

Gerryb

Reaction score
Inevitable collision with bimini shade and shore station. All my neighbors warned me that it would happen and it did last summer, forgetting to lower the bimini shade when arriving at the shore station resulted in over $2000 damage to the bimini. Dealer installed a Safe Harbor Radar Alert....hopefully this won't happen again.

Inevitable collision with bimini shade and shore station. All my neighbors warned me that it would happen and it did last summer, forgetting to lower the bimini shade when arriving at the shore station resulted in over $2000 damage to the bimini. Dealer installed a Safe Harbor Radar Alert....hopefully this won't happen again.
Googled it - didn't find anything. Can you share a picture of the alert?

Attached is a picture of the radar module installed, the bi-color dash mounted button displays green when bimini is raised and flashes red with buzzer when obstruction directly ahead is within 40' to 60'.

Attachments

• Radar Module, Mounted.jpg
    Radar Module, Mounted.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 95
That's not a Bennington in that pic .

Must be a Barletta or Bentley?!?

Of course not a Bennington owner he had a "collision with bimini shade and shorestation" B for Boner.

People sadly run into things all the time boating. While a little radar that warns of stuff 10 feet away might help a minuscule percentage, the vast majority of accidents happen due to lack boater safety and alcohol, and most injuries and deaths from not wearing a life jacket.

A good, sober set of eyes and situational awareness will prevent 99% of collisions with fixed objects IMO. Take things slow if unsure about whats around or under the water.

The Safe Harbor detects and alerts to shore stations, boat houses or bridges at 40' to 60', easily adequate time to stop or change course. Was told early, "like a pilot, who has or will land with gear up, we, or family, will forget the bimini is up"

Attachments

• Display, Bennington 1.2.jpg
    Display, Bennington 1.2.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Status Indicator, Bennington 1.2.jpg
    Status Indicator, Bennington 1.2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 38
How fast do you pull into your lift? I'm never going very fast. was it opened up? But I guess the momentum with a lot of weight could still be an issue.

anyone have a link. I've searched and can't find anything online
Exclusive from the Bennington dealer. Can barely see it on sign in pic.

I checked the build site ,I didn't see it as an option from the factory.
It also looks the pic in the ad is the same barletta as posted by the OP

Answering a couple questions in discussion.
* We never arrive to slide into the Shore Station at speeds greater than 2 MPH, probably no more than 1 MPH in calm waters. We have many close neighbors often in a position to witness the arrival and also judge our arrival performance. Slowly sliding into the berth, carefully aligned as opposed to an embarrassing arrival is preferred.

Even at one or two MPH, with the moving mass of a 3000 pound boat/raised bimini against a Shore Station canopy, something will be bent. In our experience, the bimini was bent but also, and most expensively, the frame/fence was pulled up. Lowering the bimini is often forgotten in the arrival and alignment process.

* The dealer shown in the picture is Sealand Marine/Bennington Dealer, Omaha, NE, 402-334-8232, the picture was taken at the recent Omaha Boat, Sports and Recreation Show.

Back