Safety Chains for boats on trailer

CapKaz

Reaction score
Cedar Hill, MO / Mark Twain Lake Perry, MO
Has anyone seen or had a pontoon boat slide off a trailer after loading. We had just finished a leaf tour of the lake and had loaded the pontoon preparing for the short pull to our lake house. I heard a loud thump and looked back at the ramp and the couple who had loaded their 16' bass boat next to us had started up the ramp and the boat slide off the trailer. The guy had not locked the trailer winch properly. The ramp is not extremely steep so I was somewhat surprised to see this.

My next project is to put safety chains on our pontoon and fishing boat trailers.

Never had one slide off, but I used chains on previous boats. Better safe than sorry............

CapKaz, I am curious, how did he get the boat back on the trailer?

Has anyone seen or had a pontoon boat slide off a trailer after loading. We had just finished a leaf tour of the lake and had loaded the pontoon preparing for the short pull to our lake house. I heard a loud thump and looked back at the ramp and the couple who had loaded their 16' bass boat next to us had started up the ramp and the boat slide off the trailer. The guy had not locked the trailer winch properly. The ramp is not extremely steep so I was somewhat surprised to see this.

My next project is to put safety chains on our pontoon and fishing boat trailers.
Did he have rollers in lieu of bunks?  I can definitely see it happening if that was the case.  Only other thing I can think of is he didn't get the boat all the way up on the trailer.  Pretty had to get one to slide on bunks.

If you have carpeted bunks, I feel there is enough friction to hold the boat in place.  In Ky, we are on a steep and long ramp.  A few years ago, I had the pontoon tight against the front stops and went up the ramp.  Half way up there is a concrete joint that is a good bump.  The trailer hit it and bounced the boat and the winch strap broke with a big time noise.  I expected to see the boat on the ramp.  When I checked, the boat had not moved at all.  

My trailer has the vinyl bunk wraps instead of carpet and when wet they are quite slippery. I wouldn't take the chance on the boat slipping backwards.

Dumb question of the day....why do you need the bunks to be so slippery? If you are having trouble getting the boat on/off can't you just back into the water a little more? I've never had an issue with my carpeted bunks...Just curious.

Dumb question of the day....why do you need the bunks to be so slippery? If you are having trouble getting the boat on/off can't you just back into the water a little more? I've never had an issue with my carpeted bunks...Just curious.
It depends on the ramp angle, depth, etc. Shallow ramps are usually more of a challenge if you can't float it off as easily. Also, carpeted bunks rip easily and can retain sand, grit, small rocks. I expect the wraps to be much more durable.

I've never had an issue using just the winch strap to secure the boat on the ramp.  I think the answer lies in the OP's initial statement "The guy had not locked the trailer winch properly." I wouldn't rely on just the winch strap for a long tow but on the ramp as long as it's maintained and used properly I'd say it's fine.  Just my .02.

Link

There was another guy at the ramp and with two lengths of two by fours and the winch we were able to winch and pry the 16' aluminum bass boat back on the trailer. The guys's wife was still sitting at the helm when the boat slipped off. What a ride that was! No one was hurt and very little damage to a brand new boat made for a good day with a lesson learned.

That would have been funny if the guy got out and said to his wife sitting at the helm "What did you do?????" After asking if she was ok of course!

MH663

The trailer had carpeted bunks. I wish it would have had rollers. It would have reloaded a lot easier.

My trailer came with a safety chain installed. It only take a split second to hook it, so I do. Otherwise, it would hang and dangle. Ounce of prevention.....

Back