Sat on a few pontoons today...

Rockie69

Reaction score
I liked the color scheme on this one, but... It's not a Bennington! One thing is for sure, I am very happy with my purchase and I wouldn't have traded my boat for anything at this show. Because the toons are foam filled, I don't think I could put a deck of cards in the center toon storage... VERY shallow. When I told him I keep 5 clothes baskets in mine, he quickly started talking about the foam. I did learn there is a "new" black vinyl on the market that does not retain heat and is 20 degrees cooler to the touch than most stuff out there. Now how cool (pardon the pun) would it be it have a Totally blacked out Benny, seats, rails, side panels, rub rails, toons... Now that would be sweet. And I'd call her...the Black Momba

20140209_130522_zpsv0vuakdj.jpg

You really have to question their tube construction when the fill it with foam just in case. Per a recent post a Benny will handle a collision with a 28' sea ray and still float. glad to have a Bennington!

Is that a Qwest?

If that tube was to ever leak ,how would dry out the wet foam ? 

They typically use closed cell foam, like Dow styrofoam. It would take a looooong time like many years of soaked in water

Last edited by a moderator:
That's usually what kills some of the older boat framework is the foam would break down over the years, hold water, and rot the framework and plywood floors. Pretty easy fix if you like DIY projects, as you can get the boats cheap when they have spongy floors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starcraft and a few other manufacturers used to use the U shaped foam filled tubes. My 1985 Starcraft has them, and it is the most buoyant 2 toon boat I've ever ridden in.

I don't know why the U Tubes fell out of favor, but I only know of Playcraft using them presently.

It appears that it takes less labor to make the U Tubes, and possibly less capital intensive machinery to do all the rolling. I'd hate to think how much the big automatic seam welders cost today. I just wonder how thick the aluminum is in the U Tubes vs. round tubes? And you don't have to weld all the "M" brackets to the top to mate up with the cross members and decking.

I just know my old boat did me well for those 27 Summers. I bought it 6 mos. old @ $2,400 from a finance company without an engine.

G3 still uses U shaped foam filled.

Back