Saw a pontoon almost sink last night

Resqu2

Reaction score
Had got to the Marine, had my boat ready to go & walked up to the main dock to use the restroom when I noticed people just running around all panicked. A few stopped & told me a pontoon was sinking & people were in the water. I ask if anyone had called the DGIF & she had no idea you could do that. I called it in to my dispatch center and headed that way as I was only a mile away. A pontoon had struck a rock & a few helped them get to the shore and tie it to the bank, the hit toon was all the way under water and it would of sunk if they hadn't got it to the bank. No one was injured so that was good but the toon was a nice newer model.

This really made me think a bit, I guess I feel almost unsinkable on a big ol pontoon but now I see how quick something could happen and you could end up on the bottom of the lake. Btw, how fast would you need to be going to rip a toon bad enought to nearly sink one? Our lake is as high as ever so not sure if they were to close to the edge or how they done this.

That's terrible.  They had a bunch of people die on a pontoon boat accident last week on the Ohio River.  We had a lady fall off a pontoon boat and drown after a big fireworks display July 4th.

I'd think they'd really have to destroy a toon to get it to sink fast.  Most have chambers where they'd not completely sink, however.

You think that there's no hull to sink, and that we're riding up above the water.  Nothing's going to happen to me.  But no boat's completely safe 100%. 

That is one of the aspects I like about the Bennington. Three separate sections in each log. If you damage one section, there are still two more on that side to keep you afloat. Now, if you damage all three on that side, the you're in DDD.

Back