Scratches on skirt normal?

CraiginTenn

Reaction score
I have been looking online for my first Bennington. I found one about 2 hours away from me that has everything I want on it. It's a brand new 2022 22SXSB. My wife and I went to look at it today and the only thing we are a little skeptical about is that it had a couple of areas on the sideskirts (I believe that is what they are called. The area where a rub rail would go if it had one) that are scratched up pretty bad. We asked the salesman about it and he said it is pretty normal and there is nothing they can do about it because it is from the straps on the semi rubbing on it during delivery. Does this sound correct? I understand that is going to get a little scratched up over time anyway. But, to me, it doesn't seem like a brand new $80k boat should already be scratched. Opinions?

Welcome to the forum Craig! Got any pics? $80000 for the boat and it's all scratched up already?!? If it happens normally why don't they take precautions?!? Are all the new boats like that at that dealership? Unless they give you a hell of a discount and you can live with the scratches go for it! Me personally.......Nope I'd wait for one with no scratches! Your boat won't get all scratched up if you use fenders and are careful. Come to think of it why doesn't an $80000 boat have a rub rail?!?

Welcome to the forum Craig! Got any pics? $80000 for the boat and it's all scratched up already?!? If it happens normally why don't they take precautions?!? Are all the new boats like that at that dealership? Unless they give you a hell of a discount and you can live with the scratches go for it! Me personally.......Nope I'd wait for one with no scratches! Your boat won't get all scratched up if you use fenders and are careful. Come to think of it why doesn't an $80000 boat have a rub rail?!?
Unfortunately, I didn't think to take pictures when we were there. It was the only new pontoon they had in stock, so I didn't get to compare it to any others. I have never been around pontoons much, so I didn't know if rubrails was a common thing on them or not until I got home and did some research. I have been talking to them and negotiating with them most of last week. The build sheet on the boat shows a msrp of a little over $83k and I have gotten them down to a little under $68k with trailer. That's not including taxes and registration because it is in another state and I will have to pay that stuff in my home state. So, it seems like a pretty good deal. But I know those scratches will bug me forever unless maybe a detail shop can polish them out.

You're doing great in negotiation! You're right around 19% off MSRP with a trailer! Keep it up!!! The scratches would still bug me too! Is there anything the dealer can do about that?!?

You're doing great in negotiation! You're right around 19% off MSRP with a trailer! Keep it up!!! The scratches would still bug me too! Is there anything the dealer can do about
The boat isn't even prepped yet. He said that he would ask the service guys if they could buff them out or anything when they put it together. He acted like it was no big deal. But the more I think about it, the more it bugs me. They are supposed to get it prepped this week so that I can go back and test drive it next weekend if I want to.
There is another one that I am interested in at a different dealership 3 hours in the opposite direction but there are a few options it doesn't have that I really want. For example, it has the standard Mercury 150 4 stroke and standard gages. The one with the scratches has the 150 Pro XS motor and the Simrad display instead of analog gages.

I don't believe that is normal . Ask the dealer to replace the scratched part

I noticed the boats at my dealer had more marks than normal on the rub rail skirt. I rubbed them with my finger and they would rub out with effort so they weren’t scratches per se‘ but superficial marks. Hopefully these are the same.

Last edited:
Ask dealer if he can show you the scratch’s “that are normal” in the sales brochure. If you do that, it might be the end of negotiations, but you may feel better. What a poor answer by sales, that is not representative of Bennington brand.

I have been looking online for my first Bennington. I found one about 2 hours away from me that has everything I want on it. It's a brand new 2022 22SXSB. My wife and I went to look at it today and the only thing we are a little skeptical about is that it had a couple of areas on the sideskirts (I believe that is what they are called. The area where a rub rail would go if it had one) that are scratched up pretty bad. We asked the salesman about it and he said it is pretty normal and there is nothing they can do about it because it is from the straps on the semi rubbing on it during delivery. Does this sound correct? I understand that is going to get a little scratched up over time anyway. But, to me, it doesn't seem like a brand new $80k boat should already be scratched. Opinions?
Welcome ! There is a option in the Build and Price where you can actually order a 2022 with skirt scratches "from the straps on semi rubbing on it during delivery".

I don't believe that is normal . Ask the dealer to replace the scratched part
Are they able to easily replace that entire skirt? I thought it was attached to the cross braces?

If he is referring to what I think is the skirting ,there have been members here that have removed them . I think it would be a pita especially with a wave shield ,but should be doable by a dealer .

It is not normal for a dealer to sell a new boat and say it is new if it is damaged. Check the hour meter to make sure it is new. If so perhaps the reason you are getting the deal you are is because of the damage and if so then you have to determine if the deal you are getting is worth it with the damage. I would think however that any damage done could be easily repaired or replaced.

If the Dealer is going to treat his customers like this for a sale, you won't get any better service after the sale. You don't want to get upset with your first Bennington. Move on CraiginTenn!

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcomes, advice and humor. I am sure the boat is brand new since it hasn't even had the engine put on it yet. I think I will go back next weekend for the demo ride and see if they were able to buff the scratches out, or if they even tried to. And go from there.

If the Dealer is going to treat his customers like this for a sale, you won't get any better service after the sale. You don't want to get upset with your first Bennington. Move on CraiginTenn!
That makes a lot of sense. I doubt that I would use that dealer after the sale anyway though because they are so far away. Ironically, I have a dealer about 10 miles from my house. But my local dealer only has higher priced models that are way out if my price range. I will most likely use them for any service or warranty work it may need.

That makes a lot of sense. I doubt that I would use that dealer after the sale anyway though because they are so far away. Ironically, I have a dealer about 10 miles from my house. But my local dealer only has higher priced models that are way out if my price range. I will most likely use them for any service or warranty work it may need.
The other dealer will do the work ,but be prepared to be at the back of the line . Dealers take care of their own customers first .

The other dealer will do the work ,but be prepared to be at the back of the line . Dealers take care of their own customers first .
Yeah, I figured that's how it would be. I wish my local dealer had something but they said they don't expect anything at all for the next several months.

Have you checked the price on any of the models he has in stock ?

Welcome Craig! If it really bugs you, move on with your search. This one wasn’t meant to be. If every time you see the scratches you’re going to be upset on some level, walk away. I’m a pretty OCD kind of guy, so I totally understand!

However, several years ago my dealer damaged my tunes and skirting with acid wash. I was furious! In order to fix the problem, it would have required one new tune, new fencing, flooring and skirting. And a lawsuit!

Why do I tell you this? Because someone on this site told me to get over it and enjoy the boat. He said that I won’t be able to even see the damage while I’m on it. And, as difficult as that was for me, he was right.

So, if this one checks all the boxes and you’re happy with the price, think long and hard about how much it will bother you in the long run. Frankly, I really doubt the dealer will incur a lot of expense getting it fixed because the next person will likely scoop it up, warts and all. Boat’s are hard to come by, as are large discounts.

Good luck with your decision!

Back