Sea Foam or Star-Tron

drago

Reaction score
I just removed as much gas as I could from the 35 gallon tank on our 2577RFS that had been in storage for about 10 months. I also drained the lines and removed fuel from both water separators and filled with fresh gas. The old fuel had been treated with Marine Sta-Bil since last fill (Sept. 17) and I have been removing fuel for other uses (mower & generator) since the boat was not being used. Now that I'm getting ready to add ~10 gallons of fresh fuel, I was just wondering what the group thinks would be the better cleaner to add to it - Starbrite Star*Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment or SeaFoam Motor Treatment?

I would use non ethanol gas and no treatment if it’s a 4 stroke. I believe in Sea Foam for the 2 stroke.

The non ethanol is not an option where I boat. I did find a station on US 98 in Destin, Fl. (Sunoco) that had it and also the marinas on Lake Travis @~1.00/gl extra. I've been using Shell gas that is street gas (and street prices) at the McDonalds on the south end of Lake Conroe since Feb. 2008. And generally adding the Marine Sta-Bil at the end of the season, although we really don't have a "season" at 30.5*N latitude. Our boat has just not been used ~the last 10 months so wanted to use an additive to "clean" fuel system. The Sta-Bil 360 Marine is supposed to include cleaning and corrosion prevention. I've just found out about it today.

Seafoam doesn't clean a fuel system, it's for carbon deposits on valves, pistons etc. It cleans the engine.

Thanks Carl. Right. I do not see the SeaFoam listing any fuel system cleaning but does mention de-ice & anti gel as well as stabilize fuels. It also lists all the things internal to the engine. Since our boat has not run in a while, I'm leaning more toward the Star*Tron. My bottle claims "cleans fuel system & more". The new bottle says "removes gum, varnish & carbon" and on their web page...
• Increases Economy
• Reduces Emissions
• Eliminates Black Soot and Exhaust Stains
• Removes Carbon Build-Up
• Stabilizes Gas & Diesel Fuels
• Eliminates & Prevents Ethanol Fuel Problems

I’d stick with the stabil 360. We did a test awhile ago with a water bottle and fuel treatments, the only one that really failed the test water test was startron. I’ve been using stabil 360 (green stuff) for every tank and mine sits thru winter in the northeast and we’ve had no issue what so ever. The other product that a lot of guys use but you don’t hear about is K100. That all we use in our sled for treatment and that’s the one that actually won our water bottle experiment at the local auto parts store. I’d just fill it up with fresh gas, give it an extra dose of treatment and have fun!!

Back