Sea Legs

I just ordered them for my 2012 22RCW, another boat in our marina has them and they love them. If you have any specific questions, Nate at Sea Legs is great to work with ndeschene@sea-legs.com

I just ordered them for my 2012 22RCW, another boat in our marina has them and they love them. If you have any specific questions, Nate at Sea Legs is great to work with ndeschene@sea-legs.com
How much did you have to pay for them if you don't mind me asking. I was quoted $5,200 and and Sea legs was going to install them for "free" as a "boat show special". Otter said that he got them for $4,500 installed.

How much did you have to pay for them if you don't mind me asking. I was quoted $5,200 and and Sea legs was going to install them for "free" as a "boat show special". Otter said that he got them for $4,500 installed.
I paid $6700 installed, mine is a tri toon so the set up is more expensive than a 2 tube, they install 4 independant legs instead of 2 sets of double legs.

The Free install is a great deal!

I am curious about these on a Tritoon.  I love the idea of not having to bother with a lift (putting it in and out, storing it, etc...).  However, I am concerned about the stability of sea legs over time, or on a larger lake that can get rough in storms.  Would the boat potentially be "tipsy" compared to a traditional boat lift?  

I am also concerned about weight as we plan to use our Tritoon for water sports.  Hence, would I be trading off about 2-3 passengers to maintain speed and performance in having the sea legs on all the time?  

Questions, questions, questions.  I still have a few months to decide, but by the end of winter I need to have a decision made, and everything lined up for our new boat this spring.

I see the last post was way back in 2012 on this topic.  It's now 2017.  Anyone have long term experience with these over these past few years?  Particularly experience with them on a tritoon?  We will have a 24' s-series with a 200hp Mercury.  If you have a similar size boat with sea legs please reply and let me know your experiences with them.

Do not do it. You will be sorry with the performance and with the water hitting them. It would be like not having underskinning.

During the summer of 2016, my dealer had a nearly-new R-series Bennington in for repairs for several months. It had the Sea Legs for tritoons and because they cannot be connected at the feet, were very unstable. It blew over at the dock and needed substantial (tubes and fences, plus, plus, plus) repairs.

I vote an emphatic NO!

No experience on the product. But common sense says that the sea legs might be fine on a 18 mph cruiser. A  high speed pontoon, no way. Just my 2 cents.

Do not do it. You will be sorry with the performance and with the water hitting them. It would be like not having underskinning.

Thanks.  I was afraid that would be the case.  I appreciate the advice and feedback.

I have a 22RCW tritoon with center elipse.  Love the  Legs, they don't affect performance at all, when I pull into my slip I just push the button and raise the boat completely out of the water.  Also great for docking and beaching, don't need an anchor.  I decided to go with the Hewitt pontoon legs instead of the Sea Legs based on recommendations from others.

Have them for 6 years and still working great.

https://www.hewittrad.com/hydraulic-straight-pontoon-legs/

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a pontoon with them at one of the HL sandbars for several years. It looks pretty cool but I don't know if they also have a lift. HL can get a bit rough so you also need to consider what shore you're on and how shallow it is where you will be keeping it. Like goldnrod24 suggests, you don't want to arrive at the cottage to find your new boat pushed up on shore. However, rtn seems to have had good luck with it. 

Decisions, decisions...

I've heard both. One guy that had a 25RCW with a 350 and hated it so bad that he traded the boat. Another that loved it. It really depends on your lake bottom. Wher I boat... no Bueno. So much muck in the bottom it would probably sink 3ft to get stable. But they would be cool if you had a lower HP toon and only did cruising, like on a restriced 9.9 or 20 HP lake.

I've heard both. One guy that had a 25RCW with a 350 and hated it so bad that he traded the boat. Another that loved it. It really depends on your lake bottom. Wher I boat... no Bueno. So much muck in the bottom it would probably sink 3ft to get stable. But they would be cool if you had a lower HP toon and only did cruising, like on a restriced 9.9 or 20 HP lake.

I have a 225 on my 22RCW and no issues with power with the legs

I've seen a pontoon with them at one of the HL sandbars for several years. It looks pretty cool but I don't know if they also have a lift. HL can get a bit rough so you also need to consider what shore you're on and how shallow it is where you will be keeping it. Like goldnrod24 suggests, you don't want to arrive at the cottage to find your new boat pushed up on shore. However, rtn seems to have had good luck with it. 

Decisions, decisions...

Our place is on the west shore of HL. It is extremely shallow (walkable) for about 100+ feet.  Firm sandy bottom.  Winds blowing over us and out onto the lake, or across us from the northwest.

Thus, if I did sea legs, or Hewitt's (I've heard the Hewitt are better, but heavier...), I would be able to raise the boat well out of the water.  Even in rough stormy water, it would be well above the waves when put all the way up.  However, I would be concerned with it tipping in extreme weather, or being flipped over (perhaps wind, or a mix of wind combined with any of the legs "settling" into the sand.  As you note, it can get rough with inclement weather on HL.

The safest thing is to get a good covered lift and leave it at that.  However, I have never driven in and out of lifts, and am very nervous about the prospect of it.  I am also not excited about putting in and taking out a huge lift each season (or more likely having to pay someone else big $ to do it for me...).  I hear people split on it that have had them, and people who haven't had them split on the idea of them. 

Pros: more convenient, easier and less burdensome, no concerns docking, flexible when visiting others or at the sand bar, and slightly cheaper overall than a high quailty lift.

Cons: they just seem unstable in rough weather due to the lack of wide stance, I worry about the toons and engine simply "hanging" down underneath over time unsupported, saw a picture on the internet once of a toon flipped over from a storm that had them, concerns with their weight and wind/water resistance impacting performance when we have a full crew and are doing watersports...

As you said, decisions, decisions.

Our place is on the west shore of HL. It is extremely shallow (walkable) for about 100+ feet.  Firm sandy bottom.  Winds blowing over us and out onto the lake, or across us from the northwest.

Thus, if I did sea legs, or Hewitt's (I've heard the Hewitt are better, but heavier...), I would be able to raise the boat well out of the water.  Even in rough stormy water, it would be well above the waves when put all the way up.  However, I would be concerned with it tipping in extreme weather, or being flipped over (perhaps wind, or a mix of wind combined with any of the legs "settling" into the sand.  As you note, it can get rough with inclement weather on HL.

The safest thing is to get a good covered lift and leave it at that.  However, I have never driven in and out of lifts, and am very nervous about the prospect of it.  I am also not excited about putting in and taking out a huge lift each season (or more likely having to pay someone else big $ to do it for me...).  I hear people split on it that have had them, and people who haven't had them split on the idea of them. 

Pros: more convenient, easier and less burdensome, no concerns docking, flexible when visiting others or at the sand bar, and slightly cheaper overall than a high quailty lift.

Cons: they just seem unstable in rough weather due to the lack of wide stance, I worry about the toons and engine simply "hanging" down underneath over time unsupported, saw a picture on the internet once of a toon flipped over from a storm that had them, concerns with their weight and wind/water resistance impacting performance when we have a full crew and are doing watersports...

As you said, decisions, decisions.

Personally, I'd go with the covered lift. As with all docking maneuvers, just go very slow. With a little practice, you'll be a pro in no time (ask me how I know). Yes, taking it in and out might be a pain, particularly if you have to keep it far from shore due to depth issues, but most of them seem rather light. I've helped a friend move his and the two of us were able to manage even though we're both well over 50. Or, put it in the budget and consider it the cost of "doing business" to hire someone.

BTW, that's a nice area of the lake you're on. Enjoy! 

As always Michiman, I very much appreciate your thoughtful input and feedback.  My rationale brain knows you are right...my lazy brain wants to make those Sea Legs work for me.  LOL.  I think putting its installation and removal in my "upkeep/maintenance" budget is the way we'll go with a lift.  As for the "parking"...I guess that ones on me to get good at it.

We're pretty excited to have everything fall into place for getting a place on the west shore.  It's a great part of the lake, and I think will be a great future retirement home/location for us.   :D

I have had Sea Legs on 2 pontoon boats. The first set had the wide foot print the second set was on a benni with ellipticals so had to go with the tri-toon set up. We get a fair amount of wind however it is blowing from the front or the rear and not at side. Never had any issues with movement. Our lake has shallow spots and they are great. I personally wouldn't have a pontoon on our lake without them. We were the second or third boat on our lake to have them, now they are all over the place. You sacrifice speed but for us the conscience far out weighs the speed loss  

My new boat will have the Ultra Legs on them.

I will agree that sea legs are pretty impressive at the sand bar. Pull up, hit the switch and up you go! Nice view and no "rocking the boat". We have hundreds of toons on the lake but I have only noticed one such set-up so far. I guess the "wave" has yet to hit our slice of heaven. However, Vikingstaff might double that number next summer! Yes, (hard) decisions.

During the summer of 2016, my dealer had a nearly-new R-series Bennington in for repairs for several months. It had the Sea Legs for tritoons and because they cannot be connected at the feet, were very unstable. It blew over at the dock and needed substantial (tubes and fences, plus, plus, plus) repairs.

I vote an emphatic NO!

Was this a result of the straight line winds up there? Glen Craft did a video of the aftermath on Glen Lake. My inlaws R series Benny came unmoored and was blown across the lake. Luckily it was not damaged.

I had to look for a thread regarding "sea legs". A couple of my friends do have them and they work slick. Neither of them are really too worried about them slowing the boat down as they don't ski or tube. I am thinking about adding them to my Bennington at some time, but they are spendy. 

D&D

After reading about all the tribulations of having a boat on the water I have to wonder, is it really that much more convenient and cost worthy to have a boat on the water than keeping it dry and safe in a boat barn. Electrical corrosion, lake level variations, storms and wind, etc, etc, etc. I know it would be nice to be able to go out the door and down to the dock and board, start and cruise of an evening. But for those that do not live on a lake I just don't see it as that much more convenient. I think if I lived on a lake I would want to be able to pull the boat up a ramp into a dry barn. Leaving anything on or just above the water seems risky to me. Just my humble opinion.

Back