Sea Star Power assist LOUD

sidecar1997

Reaction score
The power assist is so loud I'm thinking of disabling it by pulling fuse. I cant believe anyone would produce a product this noisy. Any suggestions or fixes for this thing? 80K boat and embarrassed to use it.

I don't think its too noisy. Maybe have the dealer turn on 12V power to another rigged boat with power-assist, turn the wheel and see if it is just as loud? If not, then you may have a faulty pump. If it is, then it is what it is. 

On my boat, you can hear the pump when I turn the wheel. But it's not distracting, and is more of a..."oh...so I guess you have Power Steering on top of everything else?" bragging kinda' sound.

I never even noticed it... will have to listen next time.. mine is in the lounge behind the captains chair. The only thing I don't like about it is it takes up room.. other than that I love how easy it makes steering/turning.

Mine is under the helm ,cant hear it at all 

Mine makes noise when docking and slow speed turning. my buddy's Benny, his brothers Benny, the guy with a Benny 3 slips down has the exact same noise. I'm guessing it's normal.

It's a shame the sucker costs almost $3K including installation.  Does it put out any heat?  Can it be installed in a sound deadened box?

The power steering pump on the Verados is much less expensive.

Yes to the heat. I think the Verado P/S system is built into the motor? And I am pretty sure a Verado is significantly more expensive than a comparable HP Yamaha? Just wondering.

I can hear my pump at very low speed. No matter what, I think if the OP has a high HP motor and decides to try operating the boat without hydraulic assist...I think the pump's volume will be easier to overlook. Its a hydraulic pump. They make a little sound.

I'm thinking a faulty pump possibly, I never hear mine, then again my stereo is usually too loud to worry about a little power steering pump noise! haha

When I'm cruising, I can't hear it.

When I'm idling or just backing away from the dock or pull into the dock, mine makes a pretty loud "whine".  The faster you turn the wheel, the more and louder it whines.  I've not heard another boat with it, so I don't know what they are supposed to sound like.

Mine is under the helm.

For those that don't hear it, I wonder if it is working at all.  It is a pump after all.  I expected some noise, just not as much as I'm hearing.  I'll have to record it the next time I'm on the boat.

You don't have to pull the fuse to see if you can handle the motor without the PA.  Just turn the wheel with engine off.  You are in hydraulic only mode then.  I have to strong arm my engine.  It would not be fun at all.

Just turning the wheel with the engine off doesn't replicate the torque that the spinning prop adds to the steering experience. On my boat, a 200HP Yamaha...it is a workout to steer that boat at anything over puttering speed, without power assist. No matter how much I hated the sound (which can only be heard at idle speed), I'd be over it super quick if my only other option was no power assist steering.

Just turning the wheel with the engine off doesn't replicate the torque that the spinning prop adds to the steering experience. On my boat, a 200HP Yamaha...it is a workout to steer that boat at anything over puttering speed, without power assist. No matter how much I hated the sound (which can only be heard at idle speed), I'd be over it super quick if my only other option was no power assist steering.
I agree.....I can't imagine how difficult it would be under power if it is as hard as it is at the dock.

The strange thing is that my brother has a 200EFI merc on his fish and ski.  It has seastar hydraulic.  It is very tolerable under all conditions.  I know that his motor is physically tiny compared to mine, but there is a significant difference.

I have the Verado and I don't hear a thing, and yes it is working because you can turn it with your finger.  I will have to listen more closely next time I get on the boat, but for sure I don't have the sound in that youtube video.

I have the Verado and I don't hear a thing, and yes it is working because you can turn it with your finger.  I will have to listen more closely next time I get on the boat, but for sure I don't have the sound in that youtube video.
My Verado pump is under the helm, and is very quiet overall. I just get a slight "squishy" noise on occasion, though the dealer adjusted most of that out. It'll certainly make noise at full lock and it draws a lot of battery current when you do that so I try to avoid it. 

Well after reading all of the responses I guess I need to just be satisfied with the fact that I have Power Assist. It is not as loud as the one in video and I guess the Yamaha 250 would be a handful with out it. I do think Bennington could find a better place to locate the pump closer to the engine so it would not be quite so intrusive.  Thanks for all the input.

Back