SeaStar Power Assist Steering - placement - wire lengths

John Eddlemon

Reaction score
This is a follow up post from yesterday. I did verify that my 21 SLX has the Sea Star hydraulic steering. I contacted Sea Star and they have 3 different pumps. All of them are the same except for the cord length back to the batteries. I have a dual battery setup, with the batteries located on the port side of the stern. The options are 25, 15 and 6ft for the cords.

One member posted that he installed his pump in the compartment behind the helm. Can someone post the best placement for the pump? Also, my thought is to get the 25ft cord length and I can always shorten if needed.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

My power steering was dealor installed in the compartment under the helm.

Put it under the helm, get the 25' cable which has the connectors and fuse holder installed. You'll need 3' hoses for under the helm and connectors/fittings.

They put mine under the flip up seat behind the captains chair. It makes that space unusable but I do like having the extra space under the helm for other stuff.

This is a follow up post from yesterday. I did verify that my 21 SLX has the Sea Star hydraulic steering. I contacted Sea Star and they have 3 different pumps. All of them are the same except for the cord length back to the batteries. I have a dual battery setup, with the batteries located on the port side of the stern. The options are 25, 15 and 6ft for the cords.

One member posted that he installed his pump in the compartment behind the helm. Can someone post the best placement for the pump? Also, my thought is to get the 25ft cord length and I can always shorten if needed.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

What they quote you for the pump?

Back