SeaStar Power Assist Steering Won't Turn Boat

DanielG

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I searched the forum and didn't find this so apologies in advance...

After purchasing my new 22SSRX last year this same time I took it back to the dealer and had them install the SeaStar Power Assisted Steering which made a LOT of difference and I highly recommend.

Late last fall so I hoisted the boat up on the lift at my dock and this weekend was the first time we put the boat in the water. In SC we have mild winters so after much advice on this forum I did no winterization. I just covered her up good. Anyway, the motor fired up and purred like a kitten the first time. I was very pleased. However, when I backed out of the dock slip I noticed that I was having to turn the steering wheel excessively to get little to know response from the motor. My family and I putted around the cove at slow speed to let it "warm up" if that's such a thing for power steering. Finally, it started to respond to turns a little better and I notice if I went faster the better it steered. We went to the next cove and then the next and finally were able to get up to a nice breezy cruising speed and had a great day on the lake.

Here's the kicker and question:
When we came back after a couple of hours of cruising and went to pull into the slip, I slowed to a very slow no wake speed and it had little steering to right and none to left. I like to have never got that boat in the slip just going in circles. It was actually funny, but I knew there was an issue.

Last year I could hear the power steering when I would turn the wheel. This time almost no sound at all, only a few times could I hear it when I would turn it.

I've called the dealer since it's still under warranty and they are scheduling a lake call to fix the issue, however, in the meantime what do you think the issue could be? Air in the lines, ball valves, other????
Is this something that is going to happen frequently with power assisted steering you think?

Thanks.

No, this is not typical of power steering. Hopefully your dealer can get it figured out pronto and have you back out on the water!

I'd get it fixed before hitting the water again. Mine does not have to warm up to work.

Maybe too low voltage at idle speeds? That's my bet.

I have had no issues with mine, it works immediately with no warm up nor minimum rpms needed. Hope you get it resolved soon. Please share with us what happened.

There is a recall or TSB with Seastar for an internal valve malfunction. May not be related to yours but the failure is like you described. Mine has done it to and we had a rock wall on one side and grass / mud on the other (Left) side. Luckily we went into the mud. Very scary and serious situation that seems to have fixed itself.

Update on my SeaStar installed by the dealer in my area. Apparently there was air in the line somehow which caused us to have to rotate the steering wheel dozens of times in order to get a little response. It also needed a very small amount of P/S fluid. Nothing major but shouldn't have needed this for only 1 year old. Luckily, no charge for them coming out to fix.

Back