seat discoloring

highhopes

Reaction score
I have a 2005 pontoon that i have had since new. The tops of my seats and the arms of the chairs are starting to discolor. It looks like the paint is coming off. I boat in salt water but i wash the boat thoroughly after each use. I cover the boat with seat covers in the summer and a full tarp in the winter. My boat is in real good shape and i don't want this to get worse. Any suggestions?

highhopes, welcome to the club!

It may be too late to reverse the current dicoloration, but to prevent further damage, get some 303 High Tech vinyl protectant from your local dealer or online. that is the product of choice, and recommended by Bennington.

There are some vinyl dyes out there, but i have no experience with them, so i can't make a recommendation as to a specific product. Maybe some other club members have some experience with them and could chime in.

We looked into fixing our seats on a 2002 model toon. The vinyl paint is cheapest but does not work well for seats. Dyeing the seats is too expensive. Used for repairs. Condition the seats with the 303. We ended up buying nice beach towels and cover the seats when we use the boat.

I have used SEM Vinyl Dye before, and their product may work well to cover the discoloration. I found aerosol application to be the best. As with the application of any paint like product, you want to make certain the application area is clean and free of oils or waxes. The dye adheres well and once dry does not come off on wet bathing suits, towels etc. Having said that, you do want to find the source of the discoloration - it is my belief that it is not from the original color wearing off, rather it is transfer from a cover or canvas.

Back