Seat Pop??

JoeR

Reaction score
Hello fellow shipmates it has been a while.To our Northern folks hopefully the snow and ice are gone and your rigs are ready to hit the water!!. I do take a quick look at the forum weekly. I have not seen this subject.  2014 RCWCP. Occasional seat "pop" when someone is sitting in the seat. Captains or passenger(s). It is not consistent either happens on all seats with base and pole set up. Doesn't seem to be tilt or swivel related. I have not heard it in the winter months as much as last summer season. Of course not as many peeps want to go on the water when it 50 degrees!!  Feels like the base is popping on the deck. But when you grab base pole the assembly feels very snug and you cannot duplicate the "pop". Trying to determine weather it is in the actual seat itself or in the base. I am a gearhead but this one got me baffled.

I was gonna give it another season of evaluation,temperature, or person load related. (A few of my friends last year gave me that "Oh No!" look like they broke something in the seat assembly). Kinda embarrassing on such a nice boat.

Hmm? maybe things where just settling in last season?? I don't think so.

Next step would be to remove splash shield under  the deck and take a look. (Yee Ow, look at all those screws) Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

The best to All for a great and safe boating season

JR 

My SLX 2 years ago did that ,traded it in before they had a chance to fix it .

RCW ( elevated helm ) doesn't .

However ,on the capt & co capt seats, the clips that hold the vinyl to the frame continue to come off when they are reclined .

Dealer ( hopefully ) corrected it . If all the did was put them back on the frame ,they will pop back off 1st time I recline the seat 

Update ,seat issues has been corrected 

Last edited by a moderator:
The seat on my 22 SSX did that. I also traded it in before it was fixed. Not much help...

I have an R model with 3 captains chairs and never had a pop or any problems. I have removed one of my wave shields though, It was allot of work. They are in so tight I trimmed it down to make it easy to re install.

Had the same problem with my helm seat and two front recliners as you have. I corrected the issue by tightening screws that hold seat base to deck. This sounds simple, but my boat has a wave shield under skin so accessing the lock nuts under deck was impossible, almost. I fabricated a 36" extension and fastened an open end wrench to it so i could reach back under the rub rail and hold each nut while a friend up top tightened screws with a cordless impact driver. So far this has eliminated the noise from seat bases.I think the problem is the plywood deck shrinking as it drys out. The screws have nylon lock nuts and I don't think they are backing off. 

Thanks guys, I like that Extension ideal, I will try it

Best Regards

Back