Second battery

Boomers dad

Reaction score
I just ordered a new 22FSi with ESP. I am very excited about the boat and love the floorplan. I decided I wanted a second battery and went to build a boat on this website and found that a 2nd battery was not listed as an option. I contacted the dealer and he confirmed that Bennington did not offer this option on the FSI. After reviewing the Bennington web site it appears this option is not offered on any of the 4 point fishing models. I think this is a serious oversite on Benningtons part as most fishing boats are running extra electronics such as multiple live wells trolling motors etc. It seems to me there must be some way to add that second battery. Anyone have any ideas how this can be done?

Thanks

I must agree with it being a serious oversight on Benningtons part, but there are a couple of ways to approach adding a second battery, in fact i am contemplating doing it on my SLi just for the stereo. The easiest thing would be to simply add the second battery and run them parallel keeping system voltage at 12v, doubling the amperage capacity. Or adding a battery selector switch, to isolate your starting battery, this involves a bit more wiring and should probably be handled by a reputable boat serviceman. Either way, you'll certainly want to add a second battery, being stuck on the water with a dead battery sure puts a damper on your fishing.

I just ordered a new 22FSi with ESP. I am very excited about the boat and love the floorplan. I decided I wanted a second battery and went to build a boat on this website and found that a 2nd battery was not listed as an option. I contacted the dealer and he confirmed that Bennington did not offer this option on the FSI. After reviewing the Bennington web site it appears this option is not offered on any of the 4 point fishing models. I think this is a serious oversite on Benningtons part as most fishing boats are running extra electronics such as multiple live wells trolling motors etc. It seems to me there must be some way to add that second battery. Anyone have any ideas how this can be done?

Thanks

Hi Boomer,

Due to individual needs, particularly on fishing models, we prefer that the dealer help the owner find the best location for a second battery if one is desired. Will the battery be used for a trolling motor (bow location) or for electronics (stern location?) Currently, we consider this a dealer rigging issue; however, as we design the next generation of floorplans, we can look at adding a permanent location for daul battery feature. Dual batteries are uncommon in most pleasure pontoons, but we may see a changing trend here. This is not so much an "oversight" on Bennington's part, but rather a changing tide as pontoon boats continue to evolve. For those handy enough to add a second battery without dealer assistance, please remember to balance the weight (not as important on triple tube boats.)

Last edited:
I also was wondering whether I needed an 2nd battery so I could listen to the stereo when the boat was anchored. Any idea of how long the stereo could be played (approx.) at normal volumes before it might weaken the battery so much as to impede starting the motor?

I also was wondering whether I needed an 2nd battery so I could listen to the stereo when the boat was anchored. Any idea of how long the stereo could be played (approx.) at normal volumes before it might weaken the battery so much as to impede starting the motor?
I also have that concern, have not had the pleasure of a dead battery yet

In general, you should be able to run your stereo for at least a couple of hours without draining the battery. It's a good idea to start the engine every hour or so and let the boat idle for 5 minutes to keep the battery charged! Test your battery every spring. They do need to be replaced every now and again.

Last edited:
I added a 2nd battery for the radio in my 2250sl 2009. I also have a charger connected to it. It is under the driver console and I plug it into the power that I have on my dock to run the boat lift. It was fairly easy and not too expensive. I never had a dead battery leave me stranded at the sand bar, but having it gives me piece of mind.

Thank you Team Bennington for your responding to my post. I understand your postion however, I do believe you may want to rethink this issue. I have had 3 previous boats and have always had 2 batteries and most boaters I know do have 2 batteries in there boats. I believe when adding a second battery it would be easier to do a professional install while the boat is being built. The answer may be to offer a couple differant locations for the install.

I will say I do belive that the dealer I am purchasing from ( Midwest Marine ) will do there best.

Agian thank you, it is nice to have a manufacturer that will take time to address the concerns of there customers.

I was doing some research on the second battery installation and came across a nice product that seems to be what i had in mind. It is a selector switch that has 4 positions, off, batt 1, batt 2 and both batts. It is iso8846 marine rated, 310 amp continuous, 500 amp surge rating. Made by Cole Hersee, part #M750 or M751 is lockable. This seems ideal, batt1 for starting, both to keep them both charged, batt2 for stereo or trolling, and off for when not in use. I'm going to order one and i'll post how it turns out.

I was doing some research on the second battery installation and came across a nice product that seems to be what i had in mind. It is a selector switch that has 4 positions, off, batt 1, batt 2 and both batts. It is iso8846 marine rated, 310 amp continuous, 500 amp surge rating. Made by Cole Hersee, part #M750 or M751 is lockable. This seems ideal, batt1 for starting, both to keep them both charged, batt2 for stereo or trolling, and off for when not in use. I'm going to order one and i'll post how it turns out.
Geoffrey, is that the one in the Eddie Marine Catalog? The PN looks the same..... about $50, right? The thing I liked was in their catalog next to this item, they showed how to hook it all up. Looks pretty simple to me. The only question I have is what is Bennington Marine's take on owner installed components which could potentially affect a waranteed component or system? Might that be why they want you to have the dealer do it?

You might want to post this question up to the BM guys and see if they'll answer.

I've always had switches made by Perko. They worked great and pretty simple to wire up

Goldnrod, no it's not from Eddies, but may be the same, i'm in the auto repair business and that's from one of the supplier catalogs. and yea, $50 is about right. As far as warranty related issues, i'm sure Bennington would rather these things be installed at you nearest Bennington dealer, but being in my business, i don't go there unless it is a warranty issue.....How about it admins, we'd like to hear your input on this. Installing one is pretty straightforward, so it shouldn't cause any warranty problems. As far as brands go, i'm sure Perko is fine as well, as long as it is rated for marine use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the dealer about that and they said my 40 horse yamaha does not have a big enough alternator for to batts.

I asked the dealer about that and they said my 40 horse yamaha does not have a big enough alternator for to batts.
Duh. Get a new dealer. You can switch to Bat 1, charge it up, switch to Bat 2 and charge that one. The alternator doesn't know the difference.

That dealer doesn't know ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Yups, I just looked in the EM catalog and it's the exact same model. Best part? Made in Boston, MA, USA. I can guess where the Perkos are made. Install looks dope simple; I think this is the route I'm going, too. Keep us posted as to your progress.

Here it is:

M-750web.jpg

Goldnrod, no it's not from Eddies, but may be the same, i'm in the auto repair business and that's from one of the supplier catalogs. and yea, $50 is about right. As far as warranty related issues, i'm sure Bennington would rather these things be installed at you nearest Bennington dealer, but being in my business, i don't go there unless it is a warranty issue.....How about it admins, we'd like to hear your input on this. Installing one is pretty straightforward, so it shouldn't cause any warranty problems. As far as brands go, i'm sure Perko is fine as well, as long as it is rated for marine use.

Members, a properly installed second battery will not affect your Bennington warranty. If you do not have the expertise to do it yourself, please DO have your dealer handle the install. Improper installation and its after-effects (whatever they may be) are not covered by Bennington!

Back