Seep

ccbb088

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2014 24SSRX had it out this weekend when I brought it home I noticed some seepage coming out from one of the strakes around one of the welds in the front when I got it home. Has anyone heard of something like this? I have a call into the dealer. How are the welds normally on these boats? Just wanted to get some opinions.

Updated 17 Aug · 0 comments

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not sealed. It's normal.

Just strange that only one side is doing it. I don't know if it would be possible to burn a hole in the toons with a weld.

Some are sealed.

See your dealer for warranty if you have sealed strakes.
OK, let me rephrase that. They are not sealed against the tube.

I had a pin hole in a weld from the factory.  It even had a sharpie circle around it (while still on the dealer lot).  The factory found it, but forgot to fix it.  Anyway on my 5th season with the boat (this spring) the center pontoon filled up enough that the hole would "seep" while on the trailer.  Everything else was long dry, except where the pin hole was, where it continued to seep out.

If you have a picture, that would help.  There are bulkheads in the pontoons, and water can collect in certain places. 

If you are convinced it is not normal, then you could have a pinhole in the pontoon where the strake was welded on.  You will need to use a magnifying glass (or phone app) and maybe a needle and poke around and see if the needle goes in.

On the other hand, my strakes never fully drain (mine are not sealed, just a "V" shape welded every couple feet to the pontoon.  There's always some water in them.  The drain hole at the back end isn't at the bottom edge of the strake, so there's always some water in there.  That may be the source of your seeping.  Or, you may have fully sealed strakes and one has a pin hole.

Again, if you can post a close up photo of the seepage and one further out showing the location, we can try to help you further.

Or just haul it back to your dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back