Sharkhide - Yes or No?

Should I have Sharkhide applied to toons from factory?

• YES

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • NO

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
We had our dealer apply Sharkhide before we took delivery in September, so not much time on it yet.
Looking forward to lots of time on the water this year to see how it holds up.

I received my QX without the sharkhide aplication from the factory nor the dealer. The streaks I had on the boat after the break-in period made be sick. So after throwing a fit with the dealer, he sent me the sharkhide kit and a check for $500. I almost had to laugh.
I’m thinking of putting Vanguard on instead. I think it will look even sharper with the black Vanguard strips.
‘Hope everyone is well on the site. You guys are awesome.
‘oh I also received the doomed numbers to go on. Will def look sharp
Yeah, I had a dealer mishap so they agreed to install Vanguard. It’s held up pretty well over six seasons, although they did have to reapply one side where the adhesive failed.

Attachments

• IMG_4457.jpeg
    IMG_4457.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 22
Yeah, I had a dealer mishap so they agreed to install Vanguard. It’s held up pretty well over six seasons, although they did have to reapply one side where the adhesive failed.
Steve’s Vanguard siding looks great. If I weren’t so cheap sometimes, I would add it on ours. :D

Given the variety of colors and what not, it can really provide a nice covering or layer of scuff protection, while also enhancing the side profile look of your boat above the water line.

Vanguard is what my dealer recommended too. I’m going to check it out.
Just keep in mind, it’s above waterline only. If you want to keep crud off pontoons below water line for performance and looks, cleaning is still needed, and Sharkhide is great in many water situations for that.

So I’ll say we are going on season 8 with Sharkhide. Above the waterline, barring spots where we scuffed it, the toons look like they did in 2017. Boats less than a year old on our docks look like crap without Sharkhide applied. Best $200 I spent on the boat. Gonna try to buff/wet sand the scuff areas this year and touch it up with the aerosol Sharkhide. Don’t think I can make it look much worse than the tarnish spots look like now.

Season 8 with our 2017 as well. I have never re-applied. Sat on lift for 2 years, and up out of water on Sea Legs since. Cleans up easy and still looks good minus scuffs like mentioned above.

I know its not the best picture of our pontoons, but this is our boat last summer:
IMG_2994.jpeg

Did you put it on yours? I was thinking about installing the Vantage Combo Kit on mine here on Lake Wylie but not sure they way we use the boat it is worth the cost.
Nope. I was thinking about it at one time. But now that we store it in a Boatel and they forklift it out of the water at the end of the day I don't need it!

yes and no,,, direct from the factory on a brand spanking new boat yes ! my real world experiece is this: i spent an entire weekend acid washing, sanding, scotch brighting and applying sharkhyde, i talked to the owner to accomplish the type of finish i was looking for. i have to say its a ton of work and unless you can get under the bunks where it sits on the trailer, and most of all if you slip your boat its not all its cracked up to be, fenders wear it off easily, scum and algae stick to it regardless, water lines and stains will appear below the water line, and your boat is not all that much easier to clean. id say a good acid washing at the end of each season. not totally bagging on sharkhyde but its really not all that great.

p.s. is vanguard - vantantage ? can find vanguard specifically

Last edited:
yes and no,,, direct from the factory on a brand spanking new boat yes ! my real world experiece is this: i spent an entire weekend acid washing, sanding, scotch brighting and applying sharkhyde, i talked to the owner to accomplish the type of finish i was looking for. i have to say its a ton of work and unless you can get under the bunks where it sits on the trailer, and most of all if you slip your boat its not all its cracked up to be, fenders wear it off easily, scum and algae stick to it regardless, water lines and stains will appear below the water line, and your boat is not all that much easier to clean. id say a good acid washing at the end of each season. not totally bagging on sharkhyde but its really not all that great.

p.s. is vanguard - vantantage ? can find vanguard specifically
Google "Vanguard for pontoons".

I think the type of water one boats in is a huge variable. Mix that with whether or not the boat is left in the water all the time and whether its wiped down, are other consideration's. It’s not magic by itself, but it can move the dial.

Back