Sharkhide - Yes or No?

Should I have Sharkhide applied to toons from factory?

• YES

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • NO

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

Jando

Reaction score
Hi All,

Small upgrade charge but I know sometimes products like this can have pros and cons.  My question is whether to add sharkhide from the factory?   Why or why not?

Thanks.

Based on the posts that I have seen on this forum [some praising, some not] I would say the consensus is Sharkhide is a good thing to do.  Based on that assumption I would say let Bennington do the first one as they have the lifts to get it up in the air and ensure all the tight spots get covered.  After that you could do it on your own, I pay the marina that stores my boat to do it for me especially since I got the Express Package because I don't fit under there very easily

So far your poll says 100% for sharkhide. 

Of course I am the first to vote

I just made to choice on my new boat to go for it.

I only used my previous boat in one of the cleanest fresh water lakes in the world and always stored it inside on the trailer. My tubes looked terrible; discolored and stained.

I tried several cleaning methods with little success. And no, I did not attempt to polish them. If I had that kind of time, it would be spent using the boat!

Well worth it if you don't like discolored tubes!

Absolutely ,from the factory ,They can get to areas you can not .

I just made to choice on my new boat to go for it.

I only used my previous boat in one of the cleanest fresh water lakes in the world and always stored it inside on the trailer. My tubes looked terrible; discolored and stained.

I tried several cleaning methods with little success. And no, I did not attempt to polish them. If I had that kind of time, it would be spent using the boat!

TOONBRITE!  Its is the best stuff ever.  Takes everything off with no effort from you.  If you can us a spray bottle and hose you can make your toons and transom look brand new.

I overlooked the option to have this applied at the factory and my boat is arriving at the dealer this week.  If I apply this myself will I need to apply polish at all or simply apply the protectant since they are new and not yet in the water? 

I overlooked the option to have this applied at the factory and my boat is arriving at the dealer this week.  If I apply this myself will I need to apply polish at all or simply apply the protectant since they are new and not yet in the water? 

Your tubes will be new, but don't expect a mirror finish. Polishing will achieve that at considerable time and expense.

Sharkhide will preserve the new factory state only.

Your tubes will be new, but don't expect a mirror finish. Polishing will achieve that at considerable time and expense.

Sharkhide will preserve the new factory state only.

If I had done it when it was new,  I would have been happy with that finish personally.  But once they really start oxidizing,  polishing is the way to go. Unless you are ok with the oxidation or acid wash look.

Thanks for the advice, I just ordered the protectant from Overtons.  I think I'll go with the protectant over the factory new finish.  

Our boat is going on the third season and still looks new! get asked the question all the time how I keep my toons looking that good!

I ended up putting 3 coats on and they look great.  I'm interested to see what they look like at the end of the season after being in the water.  

I ended up putting 3 coats on and they look great.  I'm interested to see what they look like at the end of the season after being in the water.  

They will still need to be wiped down occasionally .

I try to wipe mine once a week at the sand bar .Weather permitting 

I voted yes, from the factory, it seems like a no brainer.

My boat didn't come with factory Sharkhide, and when I asked the marina about it, I was told they didn't use it, but have a different process they could apply for $1,500. 

I decided to pass on that option.  That being said, I hope my pontoon does not burst into flames while running due to all the unprotected aluminum on my boat.

And if it really begins to bother me, I will just focus on my under-sized engine or any of the other "must-have" options I don't have, and everything will be all right. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted yes, from the factory, it seems like a no brainer.

My boat didn't come with factory Sharkhide, and when I asked the marina about it, I was told they didn't use it, but have a different process they could apply for $1,500. 

I decided to pass on that option.  That being said, I hope my pontoon does not burst into flames while running due to all the unprotected aluminum on my boat.

And if it really begins to bother me, I will just focus on my under-sized engine or any of the other "must-have" options I don't have, and everything will be all right.

As a moderator, it bothers me that some here may feel this way.

We have 2 kinds of members here, owners and future owners. The opinions expressed here are not intended to make owners feel bad about their boats. Rather, because many of us have developed strong opinions based on real world experiences, we'd like future owners to learn from our experiences prior to a purchase.

Happy Boating!!!

22 hours ago, Dev75 said:

Here is my real world example... I bought a 250 SHO with ESP which I loved. I was provided information from a member who was of the opinion that anything above a 150 was "a waste of money". Now, after having a 250 SHO with ESP which I love, if I have it to do all over again... I'd get an Eliptical with the biggest motor I could get on it. Likely a 200. Why? I didn't do a ton of water sports activities, but I did love going fast in a straight line. When I got to the dock to pick up my wife she liked to slow cruise. If I was towing kiddos, they freaked out If a started whipping them around. (and sure could with a 250SHO and ESP).

So, there is a real world, here is what I had, here is what others told me, and here is what I learned. Not once did I not appreciate what advice others gave me, and I'm guessing others on here are of the same opinion. Everyone has different tastes and reasons, those that offer suggsestions are assisting in making decisions that others make, the most informed decision. Some even have colors they like... Me? I'm Black and Tan all the way darkest interior you can get. In the end only you have to be happy with your decision, others were just helping provide what they have learned. (And yes I did get it sharkhided)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back