Shopping for New Bennington?

StormPanic

Reaction score
Hi.  New member here.  Test driving a 2017 22 SSRX SPS 150hp (Merc) tomorrow (possibly upgrading from 18' Bayliner Element).  Does anyone have any suggestions for questions to ask dealer, options I should look to purchase, add on, etc?  Would be buying off the lot.  Boat has the upgraded captains chairs and fish finder.  Does not have extended aft deck or ski locker.

Hi.  New member here.  Test driving a 2017 22 SSRX SPS 150hp (Merc) tomorrow (possibly upgrading from 18' Bayliner Element).  Does anyone have any suggestions for questions to ask dealer, options I should look to purchase, add on, etc?  Would be buying off the lot.  Boat has the upgraded captains chairs and fish finder.  Does not have extended aft deck or ski locker.

Ask the dealer how long it will take to get add-on items just so you are not disappointed when it takes months to get a changing room, movable cup holders, etc. They need to be transparent with you about this stuff before you sign.

Good idea.  It already has the changing room and movable cup holders.  Was considering adding the movable fill in seat that can be placed in front of the bow or stern gate.  I assume the dealer can't add the ski storage hatch into the floor?  Was also considering having him swap out the standard ladder for the curved one.

He should have a brochure, in the back is pages of various options to sit and think about. $$.  Personally, I added 2nd battery, rubrail, stereo upgrade, second table, myself on our ssrx.  This is what I/we wanted after using it one year.

Welcome StormPanic!  No, it is not possible for them to add the middle toon storage (at least according to my dealer). With regard to the ladder, it might be possible but would probably leave holes in the deck. I think you'll find that the standard ladder is serviceable so I wouldn't fret too much about it.

Ours came with the bow filler seat and we use it in front of the starboard gate mainly for storage. Personally, I'm not sure I'd spend the money to block off the bow or stern as we like to have access to those areas. Obviously, that's a personal choice but be aware that it is rather heavy (at least our's is) and thus not real easy to move around. I guess it also depends on how much seating you'll typically need. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The extended aft deck is nice as well but obviously not something you can just add. I think you'll be very impressed with the performance of the Benny vs. your current boat. I never thought I'd own a pontoon until last year and now I'd never go back. 

I think the biggest thing would be to carefully examine how you will use this boat, both now and into the future. That will guide you in making sure it will meet those needs. Good luck...

Welcome to the craziness stormpanic!!! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how well the boat rides, accelerates, and handles with that package. I myself came from a 19' bayliner which I really liked. Bought the Bennington without a test drive and will tell you now I won't be back to fiberglass anytime soon for my Boating. 

Ask the dealer everything you can think of and then some, gain some confidence he's not a BS artist and willing to work with you. The way you use your boat would determine the must haves to the I can get by without it items. If you second guess yourself on any items you think you may want and are only available form the factory, look at additional boats!! I would not be able to live without the center storage or extended aft due to the amount of water sports we do but that's just me. Do some searching around the forum and I'm sure you'll find a ton of information as to what guys/gals are buying. No matter how much money of yours we try to spend..... you have to live with the boat!! Have a blast on your test drive.... I'm sure it'll make you a believer! :)  

All great advice thanks.  We primarily use the boat for relaxing cruising of the NH lakes region.  Sometime pull the kids on a tube.  Need seating for 10.  Price I am getting is $44k with a trailer.  Options included as follows.  I think the price is reasonable?

Panel Accent (Champagne (upcharge)) upchargeCrystal Cap (SX/G)Woven Vinyl Slate Full Flooring (22/24)Cupholder Portable (2)Recliner Upgrade - R Series Captains Chair (2)Sport Performance System with Transom Fuel 22 SStriker 4 Fish Graph (S/SX/SXP)Docking Lights (Sandstone)Privacy Chaise (74 in SX Series)Sharkhide - 3 TubesSki Tow Bar - SPS (No Ext. Aft Deck)

Welcome to the forum.  Members here are very good at offering advice and particularly good at spending your money.  Someone here can answer any question you have.  I think you are going to have a great summer on your new Bennie, you made the right choice.

All great advice thanks.  We primarily use the boat for relaxing cruising of the NH lakes region.  Sometime pull the kids on a tube.  Need seating for 10.  Price I am getting is $44k with a trailer.  Options included as follows.  I think the price is reasonable?

Panel Accent (Champagne (upcharge)) upchargeCrystal Cap (SX/G)Woven Vinyl Slate Full Flooring (22/24)Cupholder Portable (2)Recliner Upgrade - R Series Captains Chair (2)Sport Performance System with Transom Fuel 22 SStriker 4 Fish Graph (S/SX/SXP)Docking Lights (Sandstone)Privacy Chaise (74 in SX Series)Sharkhide - 3 TubesSki Tow Bar - SPS (No Ext. Aft Deck)

Build it on the boat builder and do the math, you should be between 10-20% off.  All the guys on here got different deals and I'm sure they fit for the situation. Some got a larger discount others not as much. It looks like a nice build, if it fits your needs thats all that matters!

Sounds like a beauty and I know from the forum that it is a popular model. Enjoy...

Ladder can probably be done at a cost. Fill in seat "typically" must be ordered during build, I'm assuming so they get a vinyl match (?) but if there was a warranty problem, you'd probably get a different one after the fact. In floor storage .... anything can be done for a price, but that price becomes impractical. If you never had or wanted an extended deck, you probably won't miss it. For me, it was a necessity on our build, along with seagrass and elevated helm. I recommend going on, sitting, laying, walking around, on as many boats as possible. DON'T jump on the first deal you find because it "suits you at the moment". Get a taste of all the different layouts and options.  As stated 100's of times, "buy your last boat first". We are on our last boat the third time....  :p

Depending on where and how you use the boat, I think you would like the upgrade from fish finder to a real GPS.  The GPS comes in real handy if you do any night riding, especially when it is pitch dark out.  I would also ask for the extra battery hookup and transfer switch.  Nothing worse than a little battery having you stranded some place.

Make sure you purchase an extra prop and the prop tool, if you are in any type of lake where you might strike something.  A badly damaged prop can leave you stranded also.  Just an aluminum prop is good for a back up.

Depending on where and how you use the boat, I think you would like the upgrade from fish finder to a real GPS.  The GPS comes in real handy if you do any night riding, especially when it is pitch dark out.  I would also ask for the extra battery hookup and transfer switch.  Nothing worse than a little battery having you stranded some place.

Make sure you purchase an extra prop and the prop tool, if you are in any type of lake where you might strike something.  A badly damaged prop can leave you stranded also.  Just an aluminum prop is good for a back up.

Thanks. I already have all of that stuff (not my first boat just first pontoon).  Deposit is done now just waiting for delivery. Can't wait!! 

Go to the boat builder and price it out. You should be able to negotiate a deal between 15-20% off msrp. Although spring dealers may not be so generous. I ordered my 21 Slxp with sps, Yamaha 150 ,pilllowtop furniture, sea grass floor, gps speedo, ss ladder, saltwater  pkg., dual battery, extended art deck, striker 4 fish finder, heavy duty rub rail, you get the picture. Pretty much decked out and was right where you are in price. Good luck and welcome to the club

Thanks. I already have all of that stuff (not my first boat just first pontoon).  Deposit is done now just waiting for delivery. Can't wait!! 

So you're saying the test ride went well? Welcome to the club...… Enjoy the ride! :)  

So you're saying the test ride went well? Welcome to the club...… Enjoy the ride! :)  

Sure did.  I had never been on a tritoon before, only pontoons.  Was shocked at how smooth it was even though it was blowing around 15 at the time, while going around 40 mph.  Hoping for delivery this weekend but not sure they can get it ready in time.

I had never been on a tritoon before, only pontoons.  Was shocked at how smooth it was even though it was blowing around 15 at the time, while going around 40 mph.  

Amazing ride and performance, huh! Enjoy, but post those pictures!

Back