Shortest clearance height possible?

ScottHarris

Reaction score
Sadly this might end up in the regrets section.  I was just about to place an order for a 22SL when I was informed that there is an extremely low bridge and in general, pontoons don't fit under it.  We're moving to a place on Flint Pond in Worcester, MA which connects to Lake Quinsigamond, a 4 mile 800 acre lake.  I had seen a pontoon at the boat slips and never through there was a problem until yesterday when I spoke to the owner of that pontoon.  Other than this one pontoon everyone else on the pond side seems to have bowriders. The pontoon owner said when the water is normal/low they drop the top flat and pull out the captains chair to fit under the bridge.  When water is high they don't fit and take an alternate route going through a marsh area tilting the engine and pushing through with a pole!  They originally bought another brand pontoon which was 20' with 25" tubes and immediately found they could not get to the lake side.  The dealer took it back and sold them a smaller 18' with 23" tubes and that's how they squeeze through.

I've been digging around trying to find clearance heights and have not yet found that listed from any manufacturers.  It also seems that even the smallest Benny has 25" tubes.  Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what the overall height would be for a 22SL. Based on the other pontoon owners experience it sounds like a tight squeeze regardless of pontoon diameter. How far of a trip is it through the marsh?

Another option would be to build or have built some custom ballast tanks. Maybe in the toons perhaps that you could flood for under the bridge, and pump out once on the other side.

Also, for those not familiar with Worcester it's pronounced Wuss-sta!! (I used to work for the Hanover!)

Ballast tanks is interesting!  It seems like a 500 foot trip through the marsh which was described as a hard silt bottom and only 1 foot deep when the water is high.  There are ongoing discussions about the lake association raising funds to dredge it, so I was thinking about assisting in that effort by hand shoveling unless there's an easier way to do it which doesn't attract too much attention.

Sounds like the best reason to put triples on the back. Get that backside looooow, or you could enlist a bunch of friends to cruise with you. OR just pack it to the max with beer and ice.

Hope you find a result that gets you that Benny!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer! I'd try a new lake. :)

Back