Simrad issue / First boat

vman

Reaction score
hello every one it was along wait to get my Bennington 7 months than add another two months for my Yamaha 200. I only have 8 hours on new boat i love it. I am learning and the hardest part is getting it on off lift without hitting the sea wall. A couple minor dings but that should be expected. I know pictures i will figure out how to do it soon.

We ocean trialed the boat before delivery everything was great until the last 10 minutes when the simrad started turn itself off then back on in other calm water or two foot rollers. My dealership promptly came to my home and swapped out the unit. For about 6 hours i had no trouble until yesterday when puttering around it started happening again. Also over 18 mph i lost my water depth. I am travelling next week and the dealer is coming to get boat to try to figure this out and do first pm. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

by the way 5.2 rpm with me and full tank of gas 38 mph i was not ready to go any faster

Losing depth reading over 15-20 mph is VERY common. It typically has to do with water turbulence and the angle of the transducer on pontoons. If you search through the forums you’ll find a number of posts on that issue, and some good solutions to it. They usually involve changing the angle of the transducer, or putting an extension bracket onto the toon, and lowering the transducer a little bit more below the toon, and in some cases getting a better transducer. Either way, not a Simrad issue, but rather a water turbulence/transducer issue. Very common and well known.

As for it turning itself on and off, and being on your second Simrad unit now, I am really wondering if it is a wiring issue...? Having never had an issue with our Simrad unit, and occasionally boating in some rough conditions, I would start to question the wiring now that you are on your second unit. H

ard to imagine you got two lemons in a row, but I suppose its possible.

My Simrad ican get depth up to 30MPH.

Sounds like loose wiring issue. Have them check harness pins to ensure they are completely locked into connector, especially the hot and ground leads.
As stated, losing depth is not uncommon as your transducer just needs adjustment.

Back