Smartcraft Question

2550RSR

Reaction score
I bought a new Bennington in December (after owning my last one for 10 years which was a great boat) and just put it in the water this past weekend. I had the fuel tank drained before filling, and went through the tank calibration process per the Mercury manual. I have a 300 Verado and SC 1000 gauges BTW.

I used the boat all weekend and the tank is still showing 56 gallons, which is full and what it started at. I have done some searches and found it could be a few different issues. I thought I would come here though and ask on a Bennington forum since it could be an issue with the sending unit in the tank. Anyone else have the same issue?

The boat is going to be in the water for the next 7 months, so taking it back to the dealer is a problem at this time. On top of that, my dealer has been terrible to deal with so far, and I have had to fix other issues myself before even using the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Double check all the connections. I too am on my second Bennington and find their final quality control standards are not very good and had to take care of many things on my own. Both boats had loose connections and or connectors that were never connected or fully snapped together. Part of this blame should be on the dealer as well not checking things over during the final assembly and check before being put into service. I had a few not so pleasant conversations with a previous service writer who is no longer there and the new service writer is a lot nicer to deal with.

I swear they do not own a vacuum cleaner in that factory either. I am going on my 5th season on this boat and still vacuuming up drillings from all over the boat, the worst are the ones I find embedded in the carpet with my bare feet on occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I won't be back out at the lake house for a couple weeks, but I will check all the connections. It's funny you mention a vacuum cleaner, because the last thing I did before putting it in the water was vacuum the sawdust out of the bilge. :)

Well, it was the connector near the tank. I unplugged, cleaned, and plugged the connector back in and it's reading the fuel level now. Thanks...

Glad you got it. :)

Back