Snap hooks

Reaction score
I need some help!! I'm getting ready to put my new boat on a mooring bouy at the lake and want to know what kind and size snap hooks to use. It's a 2018 25ssbxp. Thanks everyone!! This forum has been a life saver

Can you clarify “snap hooks,” I’m not sure what they are.

shopping

Get the biggest (bigger the better) ones that would fit on the bouy. And of course Stainless steel so you don't have a rust issue. If there is a rope involved the longer the rope the better, if you get waves there will be less pull on a longer rope than a short rope.

On the benny up north we use one of those clips on each toon eyelet.

Verify load rating of the clips you buy!! I know the bigger ones I saw at Lowe’s were like 200 lb. rating ..... no way would I use them on my boat. They “looked” strong but rating sucked.

Not a big fan of snap hooks. Yes, they are easy to clip on but, sometimes they are just as easy to come undone. I have seen them fold back over the line or a steel ring and pop off. With a mooring your boat will move around a bit (waves, wind, current, etc...) hate for you to show up one day and not see your boat out there. I have always preferred using Bolt Snaps. They come in brass and stainless steel as well as many different sizes.

Back