So I bought me second Bennington, This one has the Yamaho SHO, it is so loud we cannot talk when underway.

What is the product? BTW, if it really works and does not diminish performance you might want to sell it to Mercury or Yamaha first instead of a bunch of rec boaters who'd have to DIY install it or pay 3rd party.

Hi. I am trying to get some feedback. I have the same complaint about my 21 lsb with a Yamaha 150. I came up with a product that helps reduce the noise significantly. I am in the process of finding manufactures but the cost is higher than I expected. Inflation. :) I am questioning if I should move forward. How much would people spend to solve it? I am not looking to make a living with this product but do not want to lose money. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Mercury already has something . My Verado has Selectable Exhaust , Quiet or Sport . Of course I use the Sport mode . :cool:.
Better fuel economy with sport mode , 24 GPH vs 28 GPH with quiet ,at WOT .

What is the product? BTW, if it really works and does not diminish performance you might want to sell it to Mercury or Yamaha first instead of a bunch of rec boaters who'd have to DIY install it or pay 3rd party.
The product is currently patent pending. It is essentially a sound deflector. On my boat I noticed a big difference in sound when the Bimini was out vs in. I am Irish so I need the shade. :) It will mount to the deck by the motor and use existing screw holes. It is pretty small. Most people think the sound is coming from the engine and exhaust. I did too originally but we discovered majority of the sound is coming from the transmission, prop, and water turbulence at the back of the boat. When this product is installed the level of sound in the passenger area with the Bimini out is similar to the sound level when the Bimini is back. I made some prototypes with a 3d printer but I am considering manufacturing units.

I got it, not an actual modification to the engine. Sounds interesting!

I'd say for me it would have to be easily installed and removed to free up the rear deck as space is constrained, and the db reduction would have to be significant if more than $50. Also for long runs I just pop in some $.50 ear plugs so you have some low tech, low cost competition.

Wish you success!

Sounds like an interesting idea. I hate noise and the Bimini seems to magnify it on my pontoon. The people in the back have a very different experience than the front IMO. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

So I bought me second Bennington, This one has the Yamaho SHO, it is so loud we cannot talk when underway.​

Is this normal. My old boat had the 175 hp 4 cylinder motor and is was church quiet. I just think something is not right even though it runs great.
Three years ago I studied construction and noise difference between Yamaha standard outboard and the SHO version. The only difference in construction is the intake cam shaft. When I listened to both SVO and standard versions they both seemed quiet. I now have 3 of these SVO motors and they are quiet. At speed wind noise and other noise is more dominant than engine intake howl. My last pontoon had a sundeck over the engine. Lifting the sundeck portion that covered the engine created a perceivable increase in noise.

I have the 250 vmax sho, new last year on a 24 LSB... at speed, I agree that the wind noise far outweighs any motor noise. Maybe if I run at WOT they are about equal, but that fuel burn and speed is uncomfortable for everyone, so I run more at like 25mph and 3500rpm...

I was worried about the noise level before buying the SHO and was surprised at how quiet it is overall... especially at no wake speed...

On Yamahas in general, at least on the V6 blocks, I've found some of the mid-range RPMs emit a growling noise that is louder than at WOT. Definitely in the 2500-3500 range. At times the droning gets so annoying I bump the throttle until it exits that range and quiets down, even if at the expense of greater fuel burn.

my SHO is loud. If i lay the top on the back bench, it helps with the noise. If i open the top or store it up, hard to hear people.

We had the SHO 250 on our last boat, now have the yamaha 300F on our newer boat. The 300 is much quieter than the 250 was, but I never considered the 250 SHO to be super loud. However, it was harder to have a conversation running 25mph with the SHO than it is with the 300.

Back