Sounds like an alarm but very low level sound from the helm

USFBA

Reaction score
I hadn't started my boat for awhile, probably 6 weeks.  it's been in the slip at my house with the Yamaha 70 trimmed up out of the water.  Today I went down and started it.  Started up as normal, incredibly quiet motor.  Then I noticed a very low high pitched sound coming from under the helm.  The motor cooling flow was normal and it seemed to be running normal.  I moved the boat out into the channel and back into another slip and turned it off.  Then I turned the switch to on but did not start the motor.  The sound came back.  I started the motor, everything looks and sounds fine but the alarm sound continues.  Shut it off and looked in owners manuals but found nothing.  I'll be putting the boat up for the winter next week and will run it across the lake to the boat yard that takes care of it but curious if anyone knows what this is.  I'm thinking it's an alarm but if it is it certainly doesn't sound alarming!

i believe that is the alarm warning if the motor doesn't start. the contacts can corrode and cause your problem. when the alarm sounds follow the noise and disconnect the wires, clean them and put them back on and try starting.

Back