Source for RGB LED Strip Lights

sunedog

Reaction score
I want to add color changing LED strip lights under the edges of the front couches on my 2011 2275 GCW. I've sourced and installed single color LED strip lights several times, but can't seem to find a good source for 12 volt RGB led strip lights with a controller. Ideally, I'd like to find the kind that change color to the music.

I know nothing about these types of lights. Many are sold with a transformer. I gather that is to power them with 120 volt AC power or to run multiple strips from the same source. I only plan to run one strip and the total length will be under 16 feet so I don't think I need a transformer.

They don't need to be IP66 and encased in a silicone membrane because I will mount them in channels with plastic covers. Oh yea...I'm looking for those too. I find lots of them, but all have a frosted cover. I'd prefer clear but can't find those yet.

Close, but the input voltage is 120 volt AC. I need input voltage of 12 volts. I think. I really am still learning about these.

Thanks!

Close, but the input voltage is 120 volt AC. I need input voltage of 12 volts. I think. I really am still learning about these.

Thanks!
As cwag911 pointed out, you do away with the 120AC input and wire it with a fuse to 12Vdc.

ETA, I tried to add the link that shows the questions asked on Amazon. You will have to go there yourself and search "12v" or "12 volt" and read up.

Thanks to all of you. Traveling today for work but will look into this further later and report back.

So are you guys suggesting I can cut the cord between the white RGB box and the power brick and use the two wires to connect to 12v and ground?
RGB LED.JPG

At the plug that comes out of the power brick.

At the plug that comes out of the power brick.

Don't think that would work. As I understand it, the brick is a transformer changing the voltage from 110v (input) to 12v output. If it is expecting 110 volts in and I only supply it 12 volts in, I doubt it would work. But I only know enough to be dangerous, as they say.

But I still suspect cutting the wire on the other side of the brick might work.

The brick converts 110VAC to 12VDC. LEDs need DC voltage and the correct polarity to light. Cut wires just out of ac/dc converter brick and find the positive wire.

Don't think that would work. As I understand it, the brick is a transformer changing the voltage from 110v (input) to 12v output. If it is expecting 110 volts in and I only supply it 12 volts in, I doubt it would work. But I only know enough to be dangerous, as they say.

But I still suspect cutting the wire on the other side of the brick might work.

Believe cwag911 is suggesting cutting the cord coming "OUT" of the brick aka after transforming from 110 AC to 12 DC. That way you continue to use the potentially (hard to see) proprietary adapter that plugs a cable into the RGB controller but then have exposed wires to put on a barrel plug or any other means of connecting to a 12v source. So yeah "out of" and "into" can be kind of confusing basically what we're saying is throw away the brick and cut the cord that is left of the green power indicator in said brick (Cord between labeled items 2 and 1).

Personally I just recently did a similar project using a RGBW 24v Z-wave light strip that I threw away AC transformer and connected it up to a solar generator with 12v outputs. I had to get a 12v to 24v dc step up waterproof converter but it was pretty easy to put in-line and has worked well. That was for a land based project where wanted strip lighting around table not close to power source, but electrical work is same. So don't feel like you're restricted to just 12v strips 24v are ok if using step up converter just keep on eye on ratted wattage for both power source and appliances.

Thanks to all. I understand what you're saying. Will be buying some shortly and will share my results.

Back