Spotlight for night boating

spinzone

Reaction score
My 2 yr old spotlight died on me and I need to replace it. I figured I would defer to the experiences on this board. I don't much care about the price tag but am looking for a good reliable light to keep on board. Any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly?

Just buy something inexpensive at Autozone or something. The kind you plug into your cigarette lighter.

Of course, there is a guy I saw with an older 'toon who got a junkyard police spotlight and adapted it. You probably want something a wee bet less "Larry the Cable Guy" though.

My father in law just bought me a Brinkman Q-Beam 3 Million. Tried it last night for the first time and it worked well. It's not something I plan to use often but can sure come in handy when needed.

Don't mess with Larry. We're both from N. FL! I had a cheap Stanley from Wally World that quit charging after a couple years. Didn't want to get stuck out in the dark again without one.

Gaston, did it provide enough light to see well in the channel? Bright enough to blind the bassboat running up on you without lights on?

Definitely bright enough to blind the bass boater. It was not pitch dark yesterday when I tried it for the first time but I easily located some hazard markers I was looking for on the way back to the dock.

TSC (tractor supply) had 20 million candle power rechargeables on sale about two weeks ago for $20, regular $30. It is very large but will "reach out and touch someone". Most powerful light I have seen and very cheap. Comes with a 120 volt charger,a 12 volt charger, and a cord to run it from a 12 volt power port.

20 Million, darn that should blind them bass boaters for at least a few hours. Hee Hee Hee B)

Problem I have seen with any type of rechargable light is the brighter and bigger they are the less dependable they are and the battery reserve is only good for a few minutes so you wind up using it plugged in to power all the time.

LED or HID is the way to go but then you are talking some serious cash investment. I personally only buy the regular plug in style I perfer "Q-Beams" have used them for years with little to no problems other than a bulb on occasion, and I stay away from the rechargable spot lights unless they are no more than a small flash light style spot light.I have throw money away on several of these over the years with no good results. Reason I know is I come from a large farm and ranch where during calving season the spot lights are an extension on my arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back