SPS on S series?

crvtt

Reaction score
So I'm going over all the options, and all along I've just been assuming ESP is the short center log and SPS gets you three full logs.  I read the SPS150 details again and it says three 25" full length pontoons.  All along I was thinking the SPS included the 32" center log to give the V hull type ride.  It looks like you can't the 32" center log until you go up to a G series?  If so this really changes things for me as I can get a better deal on a Harris Flotebote.  I was shying away from the Harris Flotebote because their tritoons in my price range all have the same size logs and I was thinking by getting a Benny I would have the large center log like I wanted but now that doesn't seem to be the case.  

Your decision should depend on what you're going to do with your boat.

The SPS and the Express Tube hulls do a great job for most people's uses with 150 horsepower. The Elliptical twin tubes also handle heavy loads and is Bennington's fastest hull (with strakes), but they just don't turn quite as well as 3 toons.

Many that are hauling heavy people loads and do water sports go with the ESP hulls. They're best when used with really large engines and power steering assist--both expensive options.

Like I said, the proper hull and engine combo depends on what you're going to be doing with the boat. Boats with the equal size tritoons and 150 hp are good compromises between performance and cost.

For a busy lake with a good amount of chop on the weekends, would you recommend the Elliptical Twin Tubes or the SPS?  We plan on doing a good amount of tubing but we've had fun on a rental pontoon with twin tubes and 50 hp so I'm not too concerned about the extra power and log set up for tubing.  I want a nice ride through the chop and 150hp because just about everyone on here seems to wish they ordered 150hp or went all out and ordered a new boat or repowered with 150hp.  I figure I should learn from them and not make that mistake on my first boat.

Well the ride of the elliptical tubes is what sold me, when the dealer gave us a test ride. I have never been on a smoother pontoon. I also have the 150 Yamaha. I think if I were to go above 150 I would want a tritoon.

You can't compare a Harris to a Bennington, period! It's like apples to oranges. We love our tritoon and the next one will have the ESP.

I've driven a sps w a Yamaha 200 on really rough water and it was amazingly smooth. So much so we ordered one. You don't need the elliptical center to have fun on a pontoon. If you're looking for hardcore banking and pure performance you might be better off with a fiberglass boat. I'd recommend the sps all day long. Good luck and remember when comparing boats to look at more than just price.

Harris was to the 70's and 80's what Bennington has become now.  While I don't agree with Carl's statement completely (they're both fruit and Harris still builds a great boat ;) ), Bennington has earned the reputation of building a high quality product and, therefore, has also earned a top spot for resale value. It's my belief that the extra money you may pay for a Bennington upfront, you will get back upon resale. 

Ben is 100% correct on resale. I made out quite well Ono our 2013 with 51 hours. Just lost the sales tax.

I was under the impression Harris was of the same quality as Bennington, kind of like Lexus vs. Acura, just buy the one you like better or can get a better deal on. They are pretty close on price, but the Harris dealer seems more willing to negotiate.  I'm sure if I work with the Benny dealer enough I can get them to match the % off MSRP.  Glad to hear everyone is very happy with the SPS on theirs.  I don't require the handling of a fiberglass boat, just figured it'd be nice to have. I'm thinking from a resale stand point, the tri toon is going to bring more money than the elliptical tubes.  When I was first casually looking for a pontoon, I thought I wanted a tri toon and knew nothing about elliptical tubes as very few manufacturers seem to offer elliptical tubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 2 Harris boats over the years, and moved to Bennington for the 3rd. My dealer sells both Harris and Bennington, Merc and Yamaha. Yes, they're both good boats, but I'd take the Benny every time now that I've owned one.

I've only had one pontoon boat, our Bennington, but I have been on a Harris Floteboat at an in water boat show at Lake Norman. Must admit I liked the recliner option and it had a lot of nice features. But I would buy another Bennington in a second.............

Back