"Starbrite" for toon cleaner

FIRE UP

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
Well, we were cruising around Walmart today and, just happened to be in the boating supplies section. It appears Starbrite makes a few items for the care and preservation of your boat. I threw some their upholstery cleaner in the cart and, started looking at the Aluminum cleaner. I've never been a big fan of acid washing aluminum 'cause, it damaged some of the diamond deck plating on one of our fire trucks, about a couple decades ago. But, that was then and, I have no idea just what product I used waaaaaaay back then. So, I thought what the heck, lets see what this stuff does. So, I sprayed it on a junk piece of aluminum and, used a brush to spread it around. When I rinsed it off, I was pleasantly surprised that it did not ETCH the aluminum, as deeply as I anticipated.

So, I thought what the heck, let's try it on the rear of one of the toons. Now, I did it the "un-normal" way. The instructions say to MAKE SURE you don't get it on the trailer or anything else you want protected. So, while at Wally world, I purchased some cheap-o rubber gloves and, I poured some of that Starbrite into a container and put a small rag in it. Then, with gloves on, I wrung the rag out just a bit and, basically wiped that solution onto the rear of the toon. Now, this stuff, while it is a mild form of an acid, is not the fastest acting solution for sure. As I wiped it on, it really doesn't show that its working, 'till about a minute into the action. Then, the aluminum starts to change hues.

I continued to wipe the end of the toon, around and around in a circular motion, to co-inside with the machine marks that were embedded into that end. Well, after about 1.5-2 minutes of wiping, the entire toon end, was considerably brighter than it was when I started. So, I ceased the wiping and, let it set for about another minute. The total time that solution was on there, about 4 or so minutes. I then, got my bucket with hot water and a clean microfiber cloth and, wiped it all down. I did that a couple of times, to make sure I got all the solution off. Once the end of that toon dried, I compared it to the other side and WOW! What a phenomenal difference. Now, not only was is seriously cleaner and brighter than the other side but, I could still see the machine marks and, almost a refection in it. That meant it (the solution) didn't almost etch it at all, just took the oxidation and staining off.

I'm impressed, for whatever that's worth. Now, do I leave it or, Sharkhyde or ? What do ya think? One is "BEFORE" and one is AFTER. (two different toons)

Attachments

• IMG_1523.JPG
    IMG_1523.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Starbrite aluminum cleaner.JPG
    Starbrite aluminum cleaner.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 111
That really looks good! If I went to the trouble of cleaning all the toons in their entirety, then I would 100% Sharkhide them. Others on here swear by ceramic coating them instead, so perhaps that for someone else.

Well,
Here's a report on "Sharkhide". NOT HAPPY!!! I went through some serious, time consuming labor, to clean these toons with the Starbite product and, they came out fantastic. I then ordered up some Sharkhide. I talked with a rep and, got coaching as to the application and preventative maintenance. I applied one coat and, it looked great. I let that cure (even though it says it's cured in a 24 hour period) for over a week, before we decided to take the boat out. We took it out yesterday. I was pretty darn careful about docking it at docks when we went to a restaurant for lunch. I didn't touch ANY section of the toons. Pretty darn good, if I must say so myself. Anyway, after retrieving the boat, onto the trailer, there was numerous spots where the Sharkhide had scuffed right off. THAT SUCKS!!!

I was also led to believe that, Lacquer thinner would cut it in order to remove it from unwanted spots where it might have been applied by mistake. Well, lacquer thinner doesn't even phase it. I then tried Acetone, nope, don't touch it either. Not sure just what to do next. One toon still looks pretty good but, the other, is scarred up some. And, for the life of both of us, we cannot think of what we could have brushed up against, that would scuff that Sharkhide off. In any case, I'm not sure I'll ever use it again and, it cost me about $65 bucks for a quart and I've got at least a half quart left.

I may just paint them with some epoxy paint, if I get all that crap off of them, sooner or later. We'll see.
Scott

Back