Starvation

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I've been pretty overwhelmed with work lately. Granted, the bulk of my current workload is hiking and writing guides for the trails, but I've found that no matter how much you like something, when it becomes work, it's still work. So this past weekend a good friend and I decided to sneak out for a 2 night trip to a reservoir I'd had my eye on since buying the boat. The place is called Starvation Reservoir. I'm not quite sure why, but I've heard it was because of some dispute between early settlers and native americans and some caches of food being stolen and leading towards... starvation. What drew me in was that it wasn't too far from home (2 hours) but I'd heard it had some good scenery and they allowed primitive boat camping. Sold.

After tying up some loose ends with work, we headed out on Friday afternoon and were on the water well before sunset. It was raining a bit and very windy when we launched, but the forecast looked good so we pressed on. You can read the full story on my website, but here's the short one. We ended up with a beautiful evening and sunset that first night, followed by a very late night staying up on the boat watching the moon set over the water. An unforgettable experience. The next day the weather was nice for the first half. We motored around and fished and swam and snorkeled before the weather went to hell. The rest of the trip we beached on a rocky shore and got slammed with wind non-stop. We slept right on the boat, no tents. Around 5am the wind came back and I started to feel rain on my face. Fortunately it never really got heavy and we were able to sleep in until 7 before we made the mad dash back back to the boat ramp and we were home before noon on Sunday. A great trip with a great friend.

Below are a handful of photos from the trip. You can see the full trip report with more pics and full writeup on my website here: http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/starvation.3271/

starvation-reservoir-2.jpg

starvation-reservoir-6.jpg

starvation-reservoir-7.jpg

starvation-reservoir-10.jpg

starvation-reservoir-11.jpg

starvation-reservoir-14.jpg

starvation-reservoir-15.jpg

starvation-reservoir-16.0.jpg

starvation-reservoir-17.jpg

starvation-reservoir-21.jpg

More here: http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/starvation.3271/

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful pics as usual! Looks like a great time!

Got that same propane cooktop but we never installed it on our boat. We used to use it when we tailgated at JMU football games.........

Thanks! It's a great boat grill, especially for multi-day trips where you need a pot burner and a grill. My only complaint is that it isn't great in the wind, but I have some plans to fashion a removable wind screen for it to take care of that issue. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow bcpnick, more great pix!  Never stop posting them.  Did notice that guy is peeing off the back of your boat this time; saw the next picture and now I know why he has to go a lot

great pics!!!  

Wow bcpnick, more great pix!  Never stop posting them.  Did notice that guy is peeing off the back of your boat this time; saw the next picture and now I know why he has to go a lot
Man, I'm getting unlucky with angles lately! He's actually just sitting on the sun deck in both shots! 

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing

Love the pics! Are there no mosquito's there? If I tried sleeping on the boat here I'd be just a sack of skin and bones come morning.

Love the pics! Are there no mosquito's there? If I tried sleeping on the boat here I'd be just a sack of skin and bones come morning.
Not really. I think I saw one or two on this trip but that was it. There were some sandflies or something on the shore but they stayed there, didn't really get onto the boat. Lake Powell also stays miraculously mosquito-free for the most part. Must be the desert environment and deep water, nowhere for them to breed. Some of the desert canyon I've hiked have lush, jungle-like vegetation and can be whole different story, but out on the lake they aren't a problem. Paradise! Nothing I love more than sleeping right under the stars. 

More great pics!  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much for the pics. What a wonderful place to spend you time boating.

Thanks again for sharing.

Marc

Back