Steering Issues

Todd S

Reaction score
I have a 2006 2250RL with a 50 hp Mercury. My in-laws were putting it in the lake a few weeks while I was out of town and ran into issues. They backed in and got it off the trailer but they said the steering was locked up. They cranked the steering wheel hard and said that something snapped and that now there is no steering at all..

The marina has had the pontoon for 3 weeks and still yet to look at it. Any ideas on what this might be? Is it something that I could possibly fix myself? I have decent mechanical skills on vehicles but have not worked much on boats.

I'm assuming with a 50 on the back that you have cable steering. The cable is replaceable but you might want to replace the whole assembly. The newer units are much better.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is cable. What do you mean by the whole unit.

Get a no feedback steering kit, about $200, comes with a new cable and helm. I put mine on in approximately 2 hours on my old boat. Easy install.

Thanks again. What website would you recommend I order from? I assume the motor does not need to come off?

If you have tilt steering, you may lose that. The few on the link I looked at don't have the tilt mechanism.

They might sell a tilt option though. Just beware.

I found a tilt option for this on the manufacturer website. Don't know the price. Point is, the option is available.

Thanks again. What website would you recommend I order from? I assume the motor does not need to come off?

No, but make sure you get the right length cable. I’d pull it off first and get a measurement.

Back