Steering ram damage due to long transom bolts

Mark Smith

Reaction score
2012 2275 GCW. Yamaha 150. I noticed I was leaking hydraulic fluid from the Steering ram-SeaStar HC5345. I initially thought the end caps needed to be replaced, upon further inspection however, I noticed the bottom of the ram had gouges on either end cutting through the end caps. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out until I raised the motor trim and saw that the transom bolts were hitting the bottom of the ram which caused the damage to the ram. The transom bolts are about a 1 1/2 in length past the last double nut. This should have never occurred, these bolts didn't need to be that long in length. I am surprised we didn't have any leaks prior to this. I need to follow up with the manufacturer to see what they are willing to do. Anybody out there who had the same issue?

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 57
If you are the original owner ,your 1st visit should be your dealer .The rigging is done at the dealer .

Hopefully they will stand behind their work .Here is a link to contact Bennington if needed .

Yeah, I doubt Bennington will do anything.
1. As Jack states, rigging done by dealer which also means they put those long bolts in.
2. Roughly 9 years has passed and this was never noticed during any previous servicing, which I would think includes checking mounting bolts for tightness.

Im thinking and hoping your dealer steps up and takes care of it, but I’d also not expect Bennington to cover it. Wasn’t their manufacturing that caused that.

I think the 9 years that has elapsed is going to be a major stumbling block with the dealer. However, with it being a seemingly clear issue and cause from that mounting bolt, I hope they agree to step up and take care of you. Sending positive thoughts and hopes your way!

Let us know the outcome.
If I recall correctly, the top mounting bolts were facing out from the transom on mine .

Another option...It is very easy to remove bolts and install from other direction. It appears damage is only cosmetic, and minimal at that.
Note, use marine grade silicone when installing any motor mounting bolts to seal up the transom.

Back