Steering Stiffness

Skbourgo

Reaction score
Well still no luck in figuring out what is wrong with my steering.

So I have a question as to if this is a normal function for a 150HP motor with Seastar.
When the trim is down at shore and not moving I can easily turn the wheel in both directions. If i raise the trim on the motor to highest position and turn the wheel in both directions the motor jumps/skips as I get to the end of the turn. Appears to struggle on the hydraulic ram. I know it has more pressure on it when elevated but seems to do the same thing in the water when I increase the throttle.

My F150 does not do that. The steering wheel will keep turning a bit but obviously the motor stops turning at the end of the ram. No jumping or skipping that I’ve ever noticed.

My F150 does not do that. The steering wheel will keep turning a bit but obviously the motor stops turning at the end of the ram. No jumping or skipping that I’ve ever noticed.
Thank you for the reply. I am heading to the dealer to try this on a model they have. Something just does not seem right.

Did you ever resolve the issue? I've noticed the same issue on mine - Sea Star hydraulic on a with Yamaha F150. It's a clicking/grinding noise when turning hard at higher speeds. I suspect the cause might be an air bubble caught in the remote fill tube and/or Sea Star Helm pump. Then, in a hard turn, the higher pressure in the hydraulic lines will cause the helm pump to draw in some of the air, causing a noise. I'm going to try troubleshooting a bit over the next few days and will post back if I can resolve. I purchased some different hydraulic fittings to try to eliminate the high spot where the air bubble forms.

Likely air in the system and/or a kinked or squeezed hose.

I still have not gotten resolved. I basically got frustrated with it, saw my summer fading away and decided to enjoy the boat before looking into it any harder. I can tell you that it still is a problem. Turning right is as smooth as it can be, turning left is very difficult.

What brand motor do you have ?

I have an Evinrude with DPS on mine ,when I updated my Simrad it was shut off .

Back